How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 27317
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

I have given my 13 week puppy a half of epiphan tablet by

Customer Question

I have given my 13 week puppy a half of epiphan tablet by mistake and he’s unstable on his feet
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many milligrams was given?

What does the pup weigh?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry it is pexion not epiphan and he weights 2.2kg and I’m not sure what dosage it is
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If I can’t get a phone call may get my £16 back
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

A phone call will not sort this situation my dear. I have typed my tthoughts out already here:

That is a worry if you don't know how much he had, especially given how small he is. Now if he is unstable that tells you its already taking affect and we cannot say how severe this could become. Usually it causes wobbliness, vomiting, possible sedation. The concern though in such a young, small dog is that if he were to become very sedate and vomit, he could aspirate that into his lungs which would not be good. Therefore, in this case, since we cannot assess the level of toxicity here, he is safest seen IV fluids can be given to flush this out and activated charcoal to bind what he has not already absorbed. We'd not want vomiting to be induced at home again for risk of aspiration, but a vet may be able to do that safely as well. So, he is best seen in this case.I would note that most practices here have hours today or at least have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are closed. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on contacting their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find a local one via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Kind regards

Dr. B