Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our 13 week old Welsh Collie has just found her way into her

Customer Question

Hi our 13 week old Welsh Collie has just found her way into her dry food box. She has gorged herself on Purina beta pet food and we are not sure how much she has eaten. Probably one to two days worth of food. Do we need to take her to a vet?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much did the Collie eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: She weighs 9.4kg and has eaten between 100 to 200g.
JA: Has she thrown up since this happened?
Customer: We have put her in her cage to rest and she is drinking a lot of water
JA: What's the Collie's name and age?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Kirsten, she is almost 14 weeks old, born 1st June
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Does she have any signs such as retching, a bloated abdomen, panting or pale gums?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Just bloated abdomen that we can see currently. She is asleep in her cage. Should we limit her water intake?
Thank you.The main risk is bloat, when the stomach twists as it is so heavy. Monitor for signs such as gagging, retching and pacing. The abdomen would be dilated and tense like a balloon.This would be extremely rare in puppies.More likely, she will have a mild stomach upset and some gas. Try to limit water intake over the next few hours so the food doesn't expand any more.Offer a small portion of something bland this evening e.g. chicken and rice. We would expect her to be back to normal very soon.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she still needs to be fed later? I was going to not feed her tonight.
As she is so young and she ate the kibble relatively early in the day, I would offer a small and bland meal this evening, yes.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not at all and hopefully she is back to normal very shortly.