Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Ingestion of linear foreign body, Cat, The cat ingested the

Customer Question

Ingestion of linear foreign body
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: The cat ingested the embroidery thread (standard length, approx 4 threads in a bundle) at approx 11am
JA: What size is the cat? How much was ingested?
Customer: 4kg cat
JA: Has the cat thrown up since this happened?
Customer: No, she's very comfortable and has had a few snacks (I gave her sausages to get her to open her mouth) and I can't see any thread at the base of her tongue Although she hasn't opened her mouth long enough for me to take a good look
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sooty, I think she's 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think soCustomer: Chat is completed
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this has happened and understand you must be concerned.Unfortunately linear foreign bodies have the potential to cause a lot of issues including gut obstructions, lacerations and even septic peritonitis which can be deadly.The safest thing to do is to bring Sooty to the vet immediately before the thread has left her stomach so they can induce vomiting and minimise risks.Symptoms won't show up right away, so this should be done now even though she seems well.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, thanks very much for your reply
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Take care.