How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda Simmon Your Own Question
Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 5638
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Linda Simmon is online now

My 9 year old mixed breed had a needle aspiration for a 6cm

Customer Question

My 9 year old mixed breed had a needle aspiration for a 6cm hard mass near lymph node in neck. Results are Malignant neoplasms with possible mestastastis in lymph nodes. Vet suggests ct or/and MRI to find where original tumour might be before prognosis of treatment. Pet is petrified of vets and travel. Vet says larynx and oesophagus is displaced by mass. Should I proceed or manage. No insurance as been living abroad!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: When did you first notice the dog had this mass?
Customer: on path lab report says cellular irregularities. First noticed around 4 weeks ago but when I went to vet she was given first anti biotic and anti inflammatory and had temperature of 41
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: 9 in November.Maddie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Maddie?
Customer: she’s a diamond rescue dog I got in Spain at 4 weeks
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.How far you wish to proceed is really up to you and your expectations.Without knowing the type of tumour and extent of spread (if any) it is difficult to discuss prognosis and treatment options.Some dogs do well with chemotherapy, others may require surgery and/or radiation.All of these interventions do require hospital stays and testing so may not be something you feel you wish to pursue.Another option might be to give steroid medicine, which can help slow tumour growth and improve quality of life. This can be given at home but isn't likely to be as effective as other treatment options.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok I thought as much! The vet says she needs the scans before prognosis but I feel that if the organs in the neck are displaced as I’ve been told due to the mass a sedation and throat tube would be very dangerous for her. An incision biopsy is not possible as I’m told too close to vital nerves glands and vessels. It seems the vet feels the need to see if the neck mass is a primary tumour or secondary but I maybe wrongly think it irrelevant if the needle aspiration on the neck mass shows malignancy with favour to epithelial reason
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Unfortunately we just don't have enough information at this stage to know.It isn't wrong to decline further testing if you think she would be a poor candidate for any of the treatment options.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.
I do apologise for any inconvenience.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’ve paid for a call
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Any money taken is a deposit and will be refunded in full when no call is made.Alternatively, another vet can call you when available.I am able to continue talking via typing.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you let me know when I’m likely to get the call I just paid for. Thanks
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Unfortunately I can't know what the other vet's online availability is, no.I can only talk via typing and am happy to continue to do so if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok so better to talk probably via telephone. So guess I just wait fir the call?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
do I wait for the call or is that it! Disappointed if paying upfront for call then doesn’t give the option!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As you can imagine I’m quite distraught at the turn of events and needed some advice and vet opinion on best way forward
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Ok, sure.If you have any further questions you need help worth via typing, please let me know.
Take care.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
I'm sorry, I understand this must all be very difficult and unsettling for you, especially without a prognosis.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Just want to know if I will get a call at any time or not?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
I wish I could tell you but I have no way of knowing.Basically, your call request is now live and any vet can accept it and call you. This should happen within the next few hours if your request is accepted.If no call is made, you will be refunded in full.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Well what can I say! Thought by paying the money up front I would get the promised call not an option for refund if a vet chooses not to take the call. Not at all as I thought it would be. Think it should be made clearer that this can happen and I could have saved time money and hope for a professional opinion
Thanks for your time but can’t say I’m impressed with how it’s gone so far.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
I understand and will pass your message to the website.
I agree entirely with what you've said but unfortunately it is all out of my control and the pop up phone call suggestions are sent automated, not because of something I do.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Pop ups in a situation of vulnerable and worried pet owners. Not a good combination please pass it on as I definitely will be commenting as “it is not what it says on the tin” although appreciate this is a money making business and not your responsibility. Appreciate your frank comnents thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can I please cancel any call back and receive my refund. This just won’t work for me
Thanks
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
The moderator will be able to see this message and you can also let customer services know.To the best of my knowledge, deposits are repaid very promptly. However, I think customer services need to authorise this on Monday when open.Stay safe.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok but outrageous
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Good morning Linda. You mentioned steroid treatment which I understand could be the next step in palliative care fir Maddie. At present the vet has said to continue with the anti inflammatory medicine ( Rheumocam) daily and she is on one dose fir 22kg dog. What symptoms should I look for and changes so that I know if she is in more pain and needs to go onto to the steroid treatment. Thanks for your comments yesterday and hope to hear back soon.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Rheumocam is 1.5mg/ml oral suspension
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Rheumocam isn't expected to slow the growth of tumours and, if this is our aim, we should stop it and start steroids. This should be discussed with your vet. They may be holding off as it is sometimes advised we don't give steroids if chemotherapy is to be a consideration.Steroids don't offer significantly more pain releif. If pain is is issue, we would consider adding e.g. opioids, Tramadol or Gabapentin.Signs of pain would include being less social, slowing down, refusing exercise or play time, a reduced appetite etc.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don’t feel I’m going to go down the chemo route as will be just too stressful fir her. She hates the time at the vet and gets trembles and anxiety just getting close to the place. Just don’t feel it’s fair to put her through this. I’ve tried to speak to my ver but is proving difficult so I’ll keep trying and get back to you. Thanks fir the info as it’s given me something to pose as a question that needs answering now. I look forward to receiving the refund in the phone call and apologise if I seemed rude yesterday but am super anxious myself to help her at this time. I’ll be in touch. Thanks x
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
I understand completely, there's really no need to apologise.I'm happy to be of some help and welcome any further questions.