Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think my dog swallowed an allen key he's a great dane,

Customer Question

Hi I think my dog swallowed an allen key he's a great dane
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Buzz, 17 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
Customer: No nothing else
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Do you know its size and what it was made of?When did this happen?Does he currently have any signs?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It literally just happened about 20 min ago, size was probably about 5cm its made out if metal and has got a little angle
Thank you for this additional information.This is really quite big.At this stage, the best thing to do is to see a vet who can either induce vomiting or remove the key with an endoscope to ensure it doesn't lodge in the gut and cause an issue such as a laceration or peritonitis.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thanks
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just wondering is it even big for a great dane? He doesn't show any signs, he was playful and now is decided to nap, I will still contact our vet emergency service but he seemed fine so far ( also I didn't see him swallowing I am assuming it cause it disappeared after I returned to the room)
5cm is very big and could easily lodge in the stomach outlet or within the small intestine I'm afraid.