Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Bumblefoot in chicken, No, No name 18month old, No, The foot

Customer Question

Bumblefoot in chicken
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about unknown-word yet? How long has this been going on with the chicken?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: No name 18month old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
Customer: The foot is wolves and lame I checked the for damaged and putting foot in warm water with Epson salt
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with your chicken. Please clarify "The foot is wolves..." for me. Can you upload photos of the foot to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Pododermatitis (bumblefoot) has many causes including excess weight bearing from obesity or unequal weight bearing between the two feet as a result of lameness of one foot, causing less weight to be placed on that foot and more on the contralateral foot, or from abnormal abrasions of the plantar surface from inappropriate substrate (too sharp or rough, wire, etc.), decreased blood supply to the foot (sometimes from lack of exercise), trauma (an important etiology), or standing for prolonged periods.

Pododermatitis is divided into varying grades depending on the literature source used but generally includes mild, moderate, and severe grades with the severe grades including osteomyelitis (bone infection). An avian vet (local poultry vet, www.aav.org) will obtain a thorough history including environment and substrate. A thorough physical exam is necessary to determine if any other factors are present that may be contributing to or causing the pododermatitis. X-rays are performed to determine if osteomyelitis is present.

For mild cases of pododermatitis, changing to a softer substrate, exercise to increase blood supply to the foot, soaking the affected foot in warm water, and the use of keratin softeners (petrolatum jelly, A & D ointment, e.g.) may be all that's needed. The foot can also be soaked in a dilute chlorhexidine or iodine solution which is available in your local feed store. If there's a break in the skin, then soaking in a solution called Tricide-Neo with an antibiotic can speed healing. Please see here: https://www.pondexperts.ca/tricide-neo-antibiotic-ulcer-dip/#:~:text=Tricide%2DNeo%20is%20a%20safe,%2C%20especially%20chickens%2C%20roosters%20etc.

If the tissues of the foot are severely swollen then surgery may be indicated to remove pus or a large callous but it must be performed under anesthesia with pain relievers administered. There's likely to be considerable hemorrhage from the surgical site. Treatment then can include systemic antibiotics, wound management and bandaging. You'll find many websites demonstrating how surgery is performed. Unless you're a quite experienced surgeon, I can't recommend your attempting this kind of surgery. Conservative analgesia can be provided by dissolving a 5 grain (325 mg) aspirin in 1/2 pint of water and using this water as the sole water source.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.