Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 2yr old male gerbil who has just lost his cagemate

Hi I have a 2yr old male gerbil who has just lost his cagemate followering a scent gland tumour operation 2 months ago and I’ve found he has a possible tumour on his scent gland
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Where on the gerbil's body is the tumor?
Customer: on his scent gland
JA: What's the gerbil's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he’s 2yrs 3 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Cookie?
Customer: He’s very sensitive and gets stressed very easily. He doesn’t like been handled. He’s lost his cagemate from a possible infection after surgery
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your gerbil and understanding how worrying this must be.What symptoms does Cookie have?Would you be able to send a photo of the area of concern?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Cookie seems fine in himself wi no other symptom, he’s still eating and drinking he just as a pimple on his scent gland. I’m not sure if he will let me take a photo of his scent gland as it will stress him out

I understand.While I appreciate your past experience, there are many possibilities here and a tumour is just one.We would also consider e.g. an infection, a cyst, a foreign body (such as a piece of straw etc).Despite his anxious nature, a vet visit is the best thing in this situation so he can be examined. He may well require some medicine such as antibiotics or anti inflammatories.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Thank you. I have some antibiotics I had my I last took Max his cagemate to the vets can I use those, I also have some pain medicine too?

I wouldn't advise doing this as we need to have him examined first to know what the most appropriate treatment plan is.For example, if he has some straw lodged which needs to be removed, delaying the treatment and trialling this medicine could cause things to worsen.It is also worth mentioning that medicine often goes off quickly once opened.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Oh okay thank you. I’m still debating on what to do. Thank you for your help. I’ve cancelled the recurring payment I hope it’s okay

Absolutely. Take care and if there is anything else please let me know.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Hi I just wondered if the Baytril antibiotics should be diluted with water before administrated to my gerbils or can I still give it without diluting it with water?

This is depending on the dose.
We usually advise diluting if the dose is so small that it is hard to get accurate otherwise.