Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My shih zue has small spots under her skin today i noticed a

Hi my shih zue has small spots under her skin today i noticed a white tail on it what could this be
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Shih zue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the animal's white tail?
Customer: Yes looks like a matter spot but its dry
JA: When was the animal last seen by a vet?
Customer: 2 years ago
JA: What's the animal's name and age?
Customer: OLA 3 YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ola?
Customer: NO SHE IS FINE IN HER SELF A LITTLE TIED THAN NORMAL
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No change of any of the above yes i can send photo if needed
Pictures will be most beneficial also.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How can i send photo
When sending pictures or videos do not text them to this number as it is just message forwarding number. They will then not be sent through for me to review. Instead you can send them through the Just Answer application or attach them to the message line with the paper clip icon or camera symbol. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chat box where you type. You may also press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).
Or you can upload to google drive or drop box and share the link with me here.
The Just Answer app can also be downloaded and it may be easier to then upload pictures/video through the app also.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi sorry there is no paper clip or camera symbol on or near the text box
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (252M51Q)
Is the area itchy? Sore? Any smell to it?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No does not seam to bother her she has 3 more but with out the heads
If you squeeze these bumps, can you remove any more material ?
Or is it more like some dry skin that can just peel off when they appear ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No the head just pealed off when pressed dry and some blood
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Blood shot

Often these can be some dry skin that becomes attached to the hair and skin. Then this can lead to to some irritation forming under the scab. The next discussion will focus on skin assistance.

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical shampoos with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. When shampooing it is best to allow for a minimum of 10 minutes of contact time with the skin before rinsing it off. This contact time is critical to provide good kill down and penetration to the area for potential organisms. These topical items like chlorhexidine and miconozole can also be sprayed on the skin. (Micochlor spray is my an example ). This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied.  This can be done in conjunction and between the shampooing. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it.  This  can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon . It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.

1. Micochlor Plus Shampoo which has chlorhexidine and miconozole in it to assist with yeast and bacteria.

2. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.

3. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.

The shampoo may not be needed to cover the whole body however focussing on the affected areas.  Synergy is most important in the above discussion. The one spray with chlorhexidine can address potential bacteria and yeast and the other spray with the hydrocortisone can address the inflammation and itch. Together the two items work very well together.

These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores,  the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.

Until able to acquire the above items, the area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine.  It can be found at the pharmacy over the counter.  It may go by the name Hibiclens clens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection.  Topical  hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.

If able to trim the hair back some from the edges it may also allow for more airflow and drying of the area and slow the spread of these issues. As the hair holds in moisture and this can lead to more bacteria and yeast to start growing. They may not like the area cleaned however it can be most helpful.

If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.

The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)

Duoxo pyo spray

3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok i will try thankyou
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Ola today. I wish Ola  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.