Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My Herman’s tortoise is dragging his back legs a little and

Hello, my Herman’s tortoise is dragging his back legs a little and I’m a bit concerned
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the tortoise's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: nothing looks different, we’ve had him from quite young, he dragged himself at first but has since built up strength in front legs but not back legs
JA: What's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Monty, his papers just say 2020
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Monty?
Customer: no

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Is there any chance you could send me a short video?

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Sure, one moment

Thanks. Just make sure it's the right size and format

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
File attached (7Z3PZ4G)
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I cannot take a call at the moment, thank you

Please ignore the phone call request, the system sends that automatically.

Received, thank you. Have you changed anything in the husbandry recently? (temperature, substrate)

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Oh okay thanks, ***** *****’t changed anything other than his diet. This video was when we first had Monty, at first we were advised he eats fruits but have since had him only on green, weeds and non toxic flowers. He also has calcium powder we sprinkle on top

I see. Thank you. Has he showed any signs of hybernation?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
mmm I don’t believe so, he sleeps around the same time every evening and is active in the morning the usually sleeps a little after he eats

Thank you. Please allow me a few moments to type my reply

Based on the information you have provided and the video you've sent, I'd just monitor the little one. If this condition gets worse in the following 7-10 days, he'll have to have a full neurological examination at your local vet (or exotics specialist) I am not concerned at all with his back legs right now; from what I can see, there is no proprioception deficits and the placement is correct. It might be a little tricky to examine him on the soft substrate (like the sand), but I am pretty sure if you are to put him on a hard surface (rocks?) his grip would be normal. The only other thing I can think of is hibernation? They usualy slow down all their musculoskeletal components and reduce their reflexes - but you don't think that's the case.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Okay thank you I will keep an eye on him, you are correct I do think it’s more noticeable when he is on the slate surface or a smoother surface, but will just keep an eye on it. Thank you

You're more than welcome. Any worries or questions, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thanks!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Have a lovely day!

Best wishes,

Teodora B.

MRCVS