Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

She is a 9yr old Yorker .she has what looks like a cluster

Hi she is a 9yr old Yorker .she has what looks like a cluster of warts on her shoulder.but over the last couple of weeks has diarrrea now there are traces of bright red blood in her poo.i have only been feeding her small amounts of chicken and rice.with plenty of water. She is eating her food but am worried about the diareea with blood.thank you.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: No.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Tinker
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tinker?
Customer: Only that a couple of yrs ago vet said her walking funny was due to her joint pops out some times and that was the reason for having trouble walking

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Is Tinker up to date with vaccines, flea and wormers?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She missed last yr because of covid and I do give her worming a flea medication.

Thank you. What was the name of the last wormer she'd had? When did you give that?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Flea was spot on and I don't rember the worming tablets name it's about 3 months ago.

Thank you. And did she vomit at all in the past couple of weeks?

Are you still online? I will need a few more details before we can decide what's the best way forward

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
that's fine

Thank you. Has she been sick at all?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No she has not vomited
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No

Thank you. Is there any chance you could send me a picture of the shoulder warts?

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am so sorry.i am 73yr old and I really not sure how to use this phone.

That's ok, no worries.

Please allow me a few minutes to type my reply.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No prob.

Diarrhoea is never good news in dogs, but, depending on the cause behind it, it can or cannot be treated. The most common causes are food intolerance and parasites. So we usually try a bland diet (chicken and rice, Hills i/d, etc) with a good prescription-only wormer (Milbemax) and a probiotic (Prokolin or Fortiflora). With this "first line" we should see a small improvement in 2-3 days and a big one in 5-7 days. With Tinker, I am a little bit worried because of the blood (which can mean something more sinister, given her age... or it could just be the intestines telling us they've had enough of this runny stools). If blood can come out, bacteria can travel upstream and give septicaemia. That's always my main concern with bloody faeces. My best recommendation would be to give your vet a local call and book Tinker in for a hands-on consult +/- some bloods and faecal investigations. I think we're passed the point of "bland diet trial" and she might require some antibiotics.

If you've got any further questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you.so much.xx

You're more than welcome. I realy hope this is just a gastro-enteritis and a short course of antibiotics will nurse her back to health.

Have a lovely rest of the day!

Best wishes,

Teodora B.

MRCVS