Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has a wound on his leg. And I have got the cream from

Hi, my cat has a wound on his leg. And I have got the cream from local vet already. Buy my cat keeps licking his wound even though he's wearing a cone collar. I would like to ask whether we can apply the vet warp directly on the wound?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: The wound has stopped bleeding.
JA: What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Tyson, and he's a four-year-old cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He had the wound since last Monday, and it has been a week already. And the wound was scabbed two days ago, but Tyson started licking it and made the wound open again. And I ordered some vet wrap online, but I'm not sure whether I can apply the vet wrap onto the wound directly.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern, it is so frustrating when this happens.Licking can lead to infection and delayed wound healing so must be stopped.No, vet wrap cannot be directly applied to skin.If we do dress it, we must use a soft, cotton layer such as Soffban and then some guaze to gold it steady. The vet wrap goes on top to apply pressure as it is elasticated.However, we don't usually cover wounds as this reduces ventilation and leads to infection.I would suggest an alternative collar; either a smaller size or different type e.g. fabric or inflatable one.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks a lot for your reply!
Not at all and I really hope things settle soon.I know firsthand just how frustrating this can be.After he licks, try to clean the area with saline / salt water right away.It may help to distract him from the itching with e.g. food puzzles, interactive toys and games.Things should get easier very soon once the wound has healed more and the fur has grown back a little.Good luck!