Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has a tear in his a cruciate ligament and he’s 10 yrs

My dog has a tear in his a cruciate ligament and he’s 10 yrs old. We have been advised by our vet that surgery would not help as it will bring on arthritis early and she also said he’s got 2 yrs possibly, the vet also said that he over compensating with the other leg which is putting pressure on his hip.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has arthritis been a concern for the dog?
Customer: About 2 months
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he’s 10 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Raffy?
Customer: He went out for his walk last night and his legs gave out and he would walk a couple of steps and sit down, he is eating ok and drinking but has not been to the toilet today at all and I’m getting worried. I call my vet and they have given me stronger pain killers as we can’t get him into the car to take him up their and they don’t do house calls
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear of Raffy's issue.What breed and weight is he?When did the injury occur?What medicine is he currently on?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

He is a Husky/Staffie cross, weighs approx 35kg. We think about 2 1/2months since his knee injury(we think he jumped off a small table whilst at the groomers n landed awkwardly, but we wasnt there so cant prove it) today he started previcox 227mg 1 with food and Amantadine HCI 75mg 2 once a day which he has had both at 6pm with his dinner.

Thank you for this additional information.Typically, a dog who weighs over 15kg is unlikely to heal well without surgery. Unless Raffy has significant underlying medical issues or surgery isn't affordable, I would seek a second opinion. He may well be a good candidate for surgery which would improve his mobility and quality of life.Surgery reduces the progression of arthritis. It is the injury that causes arthritis as the joint is no longer loading weight as it should. So, actually, arthritis will occur quicker without surgery.The medicine he is on should help with pain and inflammation but if you haven't found it helps, he may need something stronger added such as Tramadol or Gabapentin.If signs persist, it is important he is examined and may need imaging in case there is more going on such as a hip dislocation, fracture or bone tumour.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

We are abit worried as he hasnt been to toilet today, but went ok yesterday. Is there anything we can do to help him go? Thank you for your advice.

Do you mean poo, pee or both?

Is he straining, bloated or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Both, pee and poop he doesnt look uncomfortable or bloated and hasnt been straining

It may be due to a reduced appetite and is not necessarily a concern, especially as he is not obviously uncomfortable.

Dogs can go several days without passing stool before we worry. Reduced exercise often leads to a sluggish gut.

Dogs should pass pee several times a day but he may be holding it in due to discomfort when posturing and a reluctance to go outside. If you can, try supporting him with a towel under this groin (one person standing either side and taking pressure off his back legs) and bringing him to some grass to encourage him to go.

If this does not work, putting him on a puppy pad / incontinence pad may be another option.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Brilliant thank you so much. Have a good evening.

And you.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated.

Wishing Raffy all the very best.