Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog was castrated yesterday, the vets didn't give any

hi my dog was castrated yesterday, the vets didn't give any pain killers, and now after 24 hours he is very unsettled, he is whining a lot and even now in his crate I can hear him panting as if he has just been running
JA: Hi there. I know panting can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 15. months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Buddy?
Customer: no I don't think so

Hi there, this is Dr Linda. a UK based vet.

Oh bless him, I'm so sorry to hear Buddy is uncomfortable.

Does the wound look ok; no large swelling, bruising or bleeding?

Has he been able to lick or chew at the wound?

Has he eaten and passed urine today?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the wound looks ok, the vet nurse said that there may be a bit of blood, however haven't seen anything. it doesn't seem anymore swelled than it did straight after the surgery, we do have a post op check up Thursday afternoon, however I'm wondering can I request pain killers from them to ease his pain? he has a big cone on his head so has been no where near the wound, and eating and drinking as usual and has passed urine yes, he's a cocker spaniel so I don't think anything will stop him eating haha

That is all really reassuring, thank you.

Absolutely, you can request pain relief from your vet.

While pain relief and anti inflammatories aren't always prescribed, many male dogs are given 5 days worth of medicine after their surgery.

Your vet will likely prescribe Meloxicam which is a moderately potent pain relief and an anti inflammatory.

If very concerned for Buddy tonight, you could bring him to an out of hours clinic to get the pain relief on board right away but this will be costly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
whilst speaking to you now he seems to have settled a bit, but I think first thing tomorrow I will go to the vets and request some medication for him, they didn't give us anything after his surgery which surprised me, so as soon as his anaesthetic wore off a little and he began to be himself again he was whining every few minutes and really fidgety, but thank you so much for your help, what signs should I look for to take him to an out of hours emergency vet?

Oh, poor boy.

The good news is that males tend to bounce back impressively quickly and most are back to normal after 48 hours.

Concerning signs would include active bleeding from the wound, an increase in swelling of the wound, excessive panting, continuous whining or an inability to settle and sleep.

Hopefully he falls asleep soon and is feeling much better in the morning.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you so much for your help

Not at all and wishing Buddy all the very best.