Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My cat is 14years old ,he is eating well though he has

My cat is 14years old ,he is eating well though he has vomited a number of times in the last week ,he is sleeping a lot but he now will only sleep on hard surfaces and wants to stay outside all the time now except when he comes in for food, I have to open the door now as he won't use the catflap to come in , though he will use it to go out, I'm just wondering if the is normal behaviour in a elderly
JA: I'm so sorry the cat isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know off,we have birds and rabbits around but I have not seen any remains of wildlife, he is not leaving the garden at all at the moment which is unusual,he just goes out on the shed roof and sleeps all day, if I go into the garden he starts crying for food, but I can't allow to have food all the time ,I am only feeding him at his normal times.
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is about 14 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bojanglesand?
Customer: I can't put my finger on it ,but he is more vocal with me and wants a lot of petting now which is unusual for him, he used to like lying at the end of the bed at night or sit on my lap in the living now the only room he will go into is the kitchen ,this just started a couple of weeks ago and I don't know why it started I'm just puzzled in the changeCustomer: Chat is completed

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Is he up to date with vaccines, flea and wormers?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he is due his flea treatment again next week

Thank you. Has he been sick at all? Any loose faeces?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He was sick 3 days ago , brought up his food and then brown fluid a couple of times, as far as I am aware no diarrhoea as he toilets out side , the stools I have seen are normal

Thank you. Any other health concerns? Like loosing weight? Sneezing, coughing? Eyes look gunky?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No nothing , he looks well, it's the complete change in him, staying outside all the time , day and night when I check on him in the night he is sleeping, he is sleeping more then usual, the only time he see to wake up is for food, he has a bigger appetite at the moment, but I will only feed him his normal amount I will give him a few treats instead , it worries me as he is staying out in the rain I have to physically go and bring him in

Thank you for all the information. I would be strongly suspicious if it's not his thyroid that starts to play up (eating more, sleeping more). This in my head would be consistent with hyperthyroidism, but we'd need a blood sample to conclude that. The only other thing it's always on the top of my list is neoplasia (cancer) given his age. It is very unlikely to be just "old age". I think the best starting point would be a good hands-on examination at your local vet and a blood sample to check how he is on the inside (+ thyroid).

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to see our vet.

Perfect, sounds like a good plan. If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.