Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has a tick on the side of his cheek, well I think

Hello, my cat has a tick on the side of his cheek, well I think it's a tick he wont let me near it ,I have a tick remover thingy but he wont let me near him awwwww , what do I do to get it to calm him as cant get him to a vet until friday maybe. He keeps scratching it with back leg and mowing in pain
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: Meowing
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Yes he always outside at night in the country side but last night he stayed in as poorly , hes 6 years old his name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Diddy?
Customer: No I just think he has a tick on his cheek its very swollen I noticed a bit earlier
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Could you please send a clear photo so I can confirm this is a tick? Typically they don't cause any pain.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I'm unable to take a pic as using phone and dont know how to do that on an email so sorry he seems to be in pain what else could it be if not a tick it felt hard like a tick and ge keeps scratching it

If it is easier for you, you can take a photo with your phone and email it to me at***@******.***.Other considerations would include a scab caused by a cat bite, insect sting, wart or foreign body such as a grass awn.

Without further information or a photo it is difficult to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please continue the conversation if you wish as this window remains open.

A tick is shiny and smooth and we should be able to see small legs on each side of the body. It grows slowly over days as it ingests more blood. The sooner it is removed the better, to prevent tick borne disease spreading.

It should be removed with a tick remover. Try to find a professional nearby if your cannot do it at home; hopefully a local clinic can see him tomorrow.

Applying a tick treatment such as Frontline (if due) may also help.