Amy Estrada
Amy Estrada,
Experience:  dasdasd
114025840

My snake has a burn and im panicing rn, I dont know what to

Hi my snake has a burn and im panicing rn
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did this happen? Have you used anything to treat the burn so far?
Customer: I dont know what to use i just spotted it and its 00:40 at night
JA: What's the snake's name and age?
Customer: Kai and hes 3 Ball python
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kai?
Customer: Not that im aware of

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Kai was burned.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thats fine

-Can you send me a picture of the burn?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Uh i can try

-Let me know when you send it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry i cant call rn its kinda late and i dont wanna wake my family up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How would you like me to send it?

-You should be able to post it here to our chat.

-I am not able to provide phone consultation due to my state laws, so I am fine to continue by chat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Uh i cant seem to send it

-Do you know how to post a video to youtube or tiktok? you could do that and send me the link.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here

-When did you notice this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 10 minuites ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He let me handle him atleast

-Do you know how it happened?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He likes to coil around the guard of his heatlamp i didnt think much of it but now i feel awful

-Oh shoot. Yeah, that would get hot.

-Are you able to raise it so he does not have access?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No but i plan on getting a bigger one so it doesnt get as hot
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If i could i would but its just with how the tank is

-He could still burn himself. Ideally, the heat lamp should be outside the enclosure so they do not get burned.

-If this just happened today, be aware that burns often get much worse over the first few days, like a sunburn.

-I would recommend that you remove all substrate from his enclosure and line it with reptile carpet or paper towels. That way you can easily disinfect the cage every day.

-Clean the wound with dilute betadine or chlorhexidine (0.05%) twice daily.

-Apply a topical antibiotic, like Neosporin, several times daily. Make sure it does not contain a pain reliever was they are toxic to snakes.

-If the wound is opening, there is discolored discharge, he stops eating, or the wound is not getting better in about 2-3 weeks, he will need to see a veterinarian.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok.. im just having a bit of a panic attack as im autistic and not prepared for this

Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where do i get dilute betadine

-You can get betadine at the drug store and dilute it or perhaps at the local reptile supply store.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say dilute it by how much?

You would dilute it until it looks like very weak tea.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok

Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, thank you for your help and again sorry if my questions seem odd im still rather stressed out

-You are not odd at all, you are a worried pet owner.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actualy, um is there any good topical antibiotics youd recomend as idk where to look for one or how to know if it has pain relief or anything like that in it

-You can just buy any topical antibiotic ointment at the drug store. Anything that you would put on your wound as long as it does not have pain reliever.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It'll have to wait till morning as its 1:40am rn but thank you alot

I think that should be fine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, thank you so much for your help i'll let my mum know tomorrow and we will start treatment

You're welcome. I hope the information was helpful and Kai heals well. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Kai is feeling better this morning. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, he was exploring for a bit earlier but is back in his hide as of the moment

-That sounds promising. I hope he continues to do well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Btw I have looked online and wanted to know if uaing tamodine would work instead as it seems easier to get here in the uk

-That would work fine, it is essentially the same but a brand name. Just be sure to dilute appropriately.

-Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright, hes just exploring now ive removed all substrate and replaced it with paper towels

-It sounds like you are doing everything perfectly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should be fine to feed him this week right?

-Yes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi kai's still doing good today hes once again out and about and his burn still looks ok just a bit red under his scales
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have also removed one of the items from his viv that i believe he was using to climb onto the heat guard.. im unable to move the ceramic bumb outside the viv due to it being wood so im taking every mesure i can to prevent another accident

-I'm happy to hear he is well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi i just wanted to let you know kai seems to be doing fine, hes still active and ate last week. The elwoond did start to look a bit worse over the first few days but hasnt changed much since.. thats normal right, its still a bit red under his scales and they are still a bit grey ive been doing everything i can though

-Let's see what happens after he sheds again. If the scales still look bad after that, he should have a veterinary appointment.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright, like i said hes still active.. and hes still on paper towels for now, not sure when his next shed will be as he doesnt do it too often anymore
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i shouldnt be concerned about it still being visible?

-No, it will be visible until he sheds it completely. If it is getting larger then it should be evaluated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, onne more thing, when would it be a good idea to put the substrate back into his vivarium

I would wait until the skin is back to normal.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi i would just like to let you know it seems a few of the burnt scales have fallen off.. hes still active and eating but should i be woried
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The wound hasnt grown at all but the fact a few came loose mad me uncomfortable
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He still hasnt shed yet but he doesnt shed often anymore
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
File attached (MG1GZS2)
That is looking so much better! Keep up the good work. Sometimes the damaged scales will come off. We will see how it looks with the next shed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was just worried as i see the skin in one spot is all

-The skin looks healthy and the scales appear to be healing. I would not be too concerned.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi just wanted to let you know kai shed today
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He looks alot better even if its still just skin at the moment
That is looking so much better. I'm glad he continues to improve. You're doing a great job.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would it be ok to put him back on his substrate soon?

I'd wait until all the redness has resolved.