Amy Estrada
Amy Estrada,
Experience:  dasdasd
114025840

Bearded dragon gasping and foaming slightly at the side of

Bearded dragon gasping and foaming slightly at the side of the mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this gasping happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the Bearded Dragon have a cough as well?
Customer: No cough and she has only gasped these last two days
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Mushu and we are her third home but we guess about 8 or 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She laid some eggs a few month ago and isnt really putting any weight back on

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry Mushu is having issues with her mouth.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible.

-Does she have any wounds in the mouth?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not that i can see but she has taken to laying with her mouth open

-Is she still eating well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we feed her dragon gel as she doesn't bother with live food and she has plenty of greens mainly parsley that seems to be her favourite

-It sounds like she has a respiratory problem, mouth rot, or metabolic bone disease.

-Most health problems with reptiles are due to an incomplete understanding of the unique care requirements of the species.

-The care of bearded dragons should include:

-Bearded dragons are omnivores, however, juveniles require a diet of almost 100% live, appropriately sized prey.

-Animal protein should make up at least 25% (by volume) of the adult dragon diet. Offer appropriately sized, gut-loaded insects such as crickets, superworms, and waxworms as well as grasshoppers, locusts, and the occasional pinky mouse. A good reference for feeding insects can be found at https://lafeber.com/vet/feeding-insect-eating-reptiles/

-Dark, leafy greens such as should make up 50-55% of the adult dragon diet. Offer a variety of greens including collard greens, kale, romaine, dandelion, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens, bok choy, Swiss chard, spinach, chicory, and escarole. Other chopped or grated vegetables may comprise up to 20% of the diet (squash, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, peas, carrot, beans, okra, bean sprouts, tofu).

-Fruit should make up no more than 5% of the diet and should include nutrient-dense items such as papaya, melon, and banana. Occasional treats may consist of non-toxic flower blossoms such as hibiscus.

-Dust the non-breeding adult’s diet with calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate supplement just prior to feeding once or twice weekly, more often if actively breeding. Dust every meal for hatchlings. Calcium supplements should be devoid or low in phosphorus with a minimum Ca:P ratio of 2:1. A general vitamin/mineral supplement may be offered once weekly. This supplement should contain vitamin D, and bearded dragons should have exposure to ultraviolet light (specifically UVB rays via specialized bulbs or direct sunlight).

-Feed adults every one to two days. Hatchlings should be fed twice daily

-The bearded dragon has a preferred optimal temperature zone of 80-88°F (27-31°C). The basking spot should reach 92-100°F (33-38°C). Bearded dragons heat up quickly but cool down very slowly, putting them at risk for heatstroke. Never place a bearded dragon in direct sunlight when housed in a glass tank.

-Drinking water should always be provided in a shallow bowl or saucer.  Dragons will often soak in their water bowl and may defecate in their water.  Drinking and soaking bowls should be cleaned at least daily.

-Bearded dragons require bright light for adequate food intake and normal behaviors. Ceramic heaters, red bulbs, and low-wattage bulbs are inadequate. Provide daily sunlight directly or a fluorescent full-spectrum light source. If a fluorescent full-spectrum bulb is used, also provide a bright spotlight at one end of the habitat. UV light bulbs should be replaced at least every 6 months to assure appropriate UV output.

-Bearded dragons require housing at least three times as long as their snout-tail length. A single adult requires a 75-gallon (283-L) aquarium although larger enclosures are recommended.

-Bearded dragons require hiding areas (rock cave, plant pot, cardboard box, etc.) as well as thick branches upon which to climb and bask. Branches must be sturdy enough to support heavy-bodied adults. Provide a full-spectrum light source for normal absorption of dietary calcium.

-Because she may not have had good care in the past,  you may need to modify her care to be sure it is optimal.

-In the meantime, try soaking her twice daily in a shallow dish of lukewarm water to help with hydration.

-She should be evaluated by a veterinarian as soon as possible to get started on antibiotics.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you i have owned bearded dragons for 10+ years however never come across this foaming of the mouth i will take her to the closest vetinary practice to me tomorrow when i get home from work.
Thank you for the advice i know its difficult to know for sure without seeing her

-The fact that she will not eat solid food and is foaming at the mouth indicates mouth pain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you i will definately take her to the vets tomorrow.
Thank you for the help and i will keep an eye over her tonight.
Kind Regards,
Chris

You're welcome. I hope the information was helpful and Mushu feels better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome.

-I hope you were able to get Mushu to the veterinarian and she is feeling better today. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.