Amy Estrada
Amy Estrada,
Experience:  dasdasd
114025840

About my chihuahua is still pregnant. She seems well and

Hello, it is me again about my chihuahua is still pregnant. She seems well and playing around with toys and still having little bleeding and ate little today. I am confusing

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm happy to discuss your dog's labor.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible.

-How sure are you of her breeding date?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry mated last 5th to 7th September. Supposed be due this week correct
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have Pearl’s ultrasound picture in my email from Pets at Home. Shall I send you but problem is it was about four weeks after the mating.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A vet from Pets at Home said she have one pup. So I went to my local vet, she can’t examined her because she was aggressive and don’t want take any further can cause distressed as told. Give Pearl Panacur twice a day since 4th Nov

-She should be whelping this week.

-You've been giving a deworming medication twice daily for 2 weeks?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the vet gave me last week until a week after the birth. And told me she should have it at 44 days of pregnancy.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is whelping and smells the covers

-That's interesting because that is not a common way to dose the medication. It is usually once daily.

-Is she still have some blood from the vulva?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has little bleeding. Oh dear about the medication damn. Will harm her?

-Was it meant to be once daily?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My local vet said takes twice a day. I am worried might harm Pearl.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oops I just checking my fault

How much were you giving and what is the mg/ml?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
08ml

and the mg/ml?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
08mls

-Can you turn it so I can see the concentration?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am worried now

-What does she weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4th Nov 2.75kg. Last 4th October was 2.56kg

-The total daily dose should be ok.

-Oh wait are you giving 0.08 twice daily or 0.04 twice daily?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Phew my mistaken. Shall give tomorrow?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
0.08 twice daily
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will effects her pregnancy?

-The drug is safe during pregnancy.

-In rare cases it cause cause low red cell, white cell, and platelet numbers, but that would not be likely at this dose.

-Is the bleeding from her vulva dark red blood or just dilute looking blood?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Little white mucus and slightly bleeding something like show
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shall I stop give Pearl the dose?

-I would go to the normal dosing.

-Frank red blood, green or brown discharge in late pregnancy are concerning.

-Have you been monitoring her temperature?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don’t have a temperature. Should I buy ASAP. Sometimes cold and shaking. Now sleeping in a warm blanket

-Near their due date, you should begin monitoring her rectal temperature. When her temperature drops below 100°F (normal canine temperature is 101-102°F), labor may be expected within 24 hours.

-During the first stage of labor, uterine contractions begin. She may be restless, pace, dig, shiver, pant, or even vomit. This stage of labor can last 6-12 hrs.

-Puppies are in a membrane that needs to be removed to allow them to breathe. She will likely bite and lick the membrane. Allow her a minute or so to do so, but if she is not getting it done, remove the membrane clean the puppy with a clean, warm towel. The umbilical cord can be tied with string or yard about one inch from the pup and cut if she does not chew it off.

-Generally, one puppy is delivered every 45 to 60 minutes with 10-30 minutes of hard pushing. Some mothers will take a rest with no straining for 2-3 hrs between puppies. If she is seen straining hard for over 30 minutes or if she takes longer than a 4-hour break, consult a veterinarian. This is where it is important to know whether she has delivered the entire litter that was counted on the x-ray.

-Puppies may be delivered tail or head first.

-Call your veterinarian if:

30 to 60 minutes of strong contractions occur with no puppy being produced.

More than 4 hours pass between pups and you know there are more inside.

She fails to go into labor within 24 hours of her temperature drop.

She is obviously in extreme pain.

Greater than 70 days of gestation have passed.

-Green discharge is a bit special as it indicates separation of a placenta from the uterus. During birth of a litter, when the first placenta separates, the puppy will need oxygen very soon. If a puppy is not delivered within 30 minutes of seeing green discharge, it indicates a problem and she should be taken to the veterinarian immediately.

-Do you have any questions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for explaining I am nervous and worried. Is she overdue because her mating date was last 5th/6th/7th September.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One more thing shall I stop give her Panacur?

-She is overdue if more than 70 days have passed.

-I recommended you continue the panacur at correct dosing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shall I take her to the vet?

-It would be a good idea to have someone check the heart rates of the puppies and be sure they are ok.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I will take her to the vet tomorrow morning. Thank you hope everything goes well
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How many days allow to overdue?

-Were you able to read the information I send about normal birthing?

-If she is more than 70 days post-breeding that is a concern. The fact she is also bleeding some makes me thing you should have the puppies evaluated by ultrasound.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello again, strange as this morning nothing bleeding
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Loads of fidgeting and haven’t eaten all this morning

-That sounds like she could be 1 labor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your thoughts and sharing with me. I will update you

You're welcome. Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thxs

-I hope the delivery goes smoothly. Read the information on when to seek emergency care again so you know what to watch for.

- Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,
To let you know I am devastated my chihuahua Pearl has miscarried as she had a scan today.
I would like to say many many thanks for sharing.Have a good eveningKind regards Eva

-I am so sorry to hear that. I'm glad Pearl is safe and healthy, but know that you are mourning the loss of the puppies. My sincere sympathies.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Kind regards Eva

I hope you have a better day.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks most important Peal is well and takes medication. Kind regards Eva

I agree. I hope she feels better soon.