How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 62847
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

I think my pug may have eaten some chocolate 😞, Size in

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I think my pug may have eaten some chocolate 😞
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the Pug? How much of the chocolate was eaten?
Customer: Size in weight?
JA: When was this? Has the Pug thrown up since then?
Customer: I’ve been out for the last 3 hours so I’m not sure exactly when No he hasn’t thrown up
JA: What's the Pug's name and age?
Customer: Lentil and he’s nearly 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lentil?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

How much does Lentil weigh, please?  Was it milk or dark chocolate?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It was a milk chocolate roll, 37% milk chocolate
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Not sure of Lentil’s exact weight
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I would estimate about 2 stone
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

Milk chocolate becomes toxic (vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion) at a dose of 2 ounces per kg of bodyweight. that would be equivalent to ~24 ounces for Lentil which I can't imagine he ingested.  Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

In addition, the roll was only 37% milk chocolate rather than pure.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Perfect, thanks a lot
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

You're quite welcome.  As with ingesting anything unusual, gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea might arise. It should be transient, however, and not need treatment.

There's no need to induce emesis nor treat in any manner.  You can feed and water as usual.