Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I don't know, west highland white terrier, Since we had her

Customer Question

I don't know
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: west highland white terrier
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the West Highland White Terrier's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Since we had her at 8 weeks old
JA: When did the West Highland White Terrier last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: 2 weeks ago and no
JA: And what's the West Highland White Terrier's name and age?
Customer: saffie and 7 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sofie?
Customer: it's saffie
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please help, she is getting sick every 2 weeks and the vet doesn't know why, she had blood test done in the summer and it came back she had slight anaemia, but most of the time when she goes sick the vet can't find anything wrong with her but when she is unwell she goes really tired, she doesn't play, doesn't eat or drink but when she is her normal self she is wild and playful just like a puppy should be
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This has been going on since she was 8 weeks old, she had giardia, and multiple temperatures and infections but vet doesn't know why
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This happens every 2 weeks and the vet doesn't do anything to try and find out why, the only thing that came back on the blood test was slight anaemia but they said it's not enough for anaemia medication. She just goes hot, tired, not playing and not eating and every 2 weeks we expect this to happen as it's a regular thing
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Saffie.  Can you upload a copy of all of her test results?  I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can provide you with a copy that you could upload here as a .pdf file or you can photograph the pages and upload them as images.  I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Her recurrent and episodic malaise suggest juvenile Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism).

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm sorry the vet didn't give me a copy of her test results I don't have them
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How much is a blood test to test for Addison's disease

Addison's disease is suggested when there's a lack of a stress response in the complete blood count, anemia, decreased serum sodium level, increased serum potassium level, metabolic acidosis, prerenal azotemia, and hypoalbuminemia.  Hypoglycemia and hypercalcemia are also possible.  As you can see, there are many markers for Addison's disease.

Confirmation is made by performing an ACTH stim test - two blood draws with an injection of ACTH in between the draws.  I regret that I can't know what this and the above testing will cost you and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If I ask my vet to perform a blood test will they accept my request

Feel free to share our conversation with her vet.  The vet will make the decision about which testing should be performed.  A basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including electrolytes should be performed initially.  If there are indications of Addison's in the panel, the ACTH stim is then performed for confirmation.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I want to say Thankyou for your advice, saffie is booked in tomorrow for ACTH test
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 days ago.

I'm pleased to hear this.  Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I told them what you said and they agreed to do the test I will let you know the results tomorrow she is going in at 9:45am

Are electrolytes (sodium, potassium) going to be checked as well?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
electrolytes, liver, kidneys, red and white blood cells too
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Electrolytes, liver, kidneys and red and white blood cells are all normal, just waiting on the ACTH results which are being sent to the lab which we will hear back in a couple of days
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

Thank you.  I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, results have come back for ACTH and it's negative, she doesn't have addisons diease, but she's still miserable and wants to be alone, this isn't like her she's normally wild and happy, she come into heat for her first time 1 week ago, do you think this could be why she is acting like this?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

Thank you.  Her going into heat 1 week ago doesn't explain her waxing and waning sickness every 2 weeks.  Fever of unknown origin (FUO) can wax and wane and the diagnostics needed to clarify the cause can be quite involved including blood titers for infectious diseases (including tick-borne infections), blood culture, and imaging of the chest (X-rays) and abdomen (ultrasound).