RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Are you virtual or a real person? water turtle, 3 days she

Customer Question

Hello are you virtual or a real person?
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: water turtle
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the turtle's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 3 days she has an eye closed. I brought her to the vet and she said she MIght have VITAMINE A deficiency she told me to give her the vitamin A in the food. Since she has been to the vet she has not been eating as much The vet told me to bring her back and give her a shot of antibiotic, but as my previous turtle died after the shot I didn't bring her
JA: I'm so sorry to hear that. Let me get you the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share?
Customer: Yes the aquarium is producing more algae then before
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 8 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your turtle.

What do you usually feed your turtle? What is the enclosure like? do you know the water temperature? Have you changed your filter to try and improve the water quality?

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 7 days ago.

Reptiles do not show symptoms of illness until they are quite sick, because their metabolism is very slow. This means when they are showing symptoms such as this they really need treatment ASAP. I would agree with your vet that it sounds like she has conjunctivitis. It is possible this is due to infection, secondary to vitamin A deficiency (epithelial hyperplasia). You can syringe feed her with some critical care formula which is an electrolyte formula to keep her hydrated and get some fluid passing through. It sounds like she probably has an eye infection. This can be as a result of lack of vitamin A, bacterial or viral infections. It can also be due to poor water quality so it would be good to check your water quality to ensure this is OK. I would recommend having him checked by your vet ASAP, as he may need antibiotics/ anti-inflammatories and other medications. The injection your vet wanted to give was probably an antibiotic and I would recommend taking her back to your vet to get this as directed. I very much doubt your other turtle died as a result of the injection.

Dr Coles