Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Skin problems, Greman Shepherd Dog Male, German* He doesnt

Customer Question

Skin problems
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Greman Shepherd Dog Male
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the German Shepherd Dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: German*
JA: When did the German Shepherd Dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: He doesnt see vets very often he is highly reactive to people no medications taken
JA: And what's the German Shepherd Dog's name and age?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 10 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Mike thanks for your swift reply. No medications are being taken at the moment, our boy has had some skin trouble on and off for a while we usually get it under control with medicated washes but this most recent bout is more severe and we cannot seem to shift it.
We have no change in diet and have had recent allergy tests Also online) where nothing obvious came back
I will attach some photos i have just taken, Thank you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (VS315T5)
Is there any musty or yeasty smell? How are the ears? What have you used so far?
Please give me some minutes to review.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I wouldn't say particularly musty, not yeasty. ears seem normal
What is the name of the prior medicated shampoo? I ask as not all Have as effective ingredient.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i see thanks ill grab the bottle and check what we are using
Are most often the skin issues on the lower side of the body also ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He has those scabs if you will under his fur in various places some around the scruff of his neck there are traces the worst is his back right leg and above the tail. As you can see he has been chewing these and has managed to make them quite sore
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would say they are all over really patches in his neck fur ans on his chest fur, sorry i cant get an image of those the fur is too thick :)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (MZ7VTZ5)
Will it be possible to send a picture of the back side to see the active ingredients?
Sorry the last image loaded slower, why the slow reply ))
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
hey thats ok
i just looked and it doesn't actually list any active ingredients except a natural anti scurf alternative to coal tar
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/exmarid-deep-cleansing-shampoo-250ml
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He's such a reactive chap, that I cant take him to see a vet in person without having him sedated, and I don't like to do that if I am honest. Hes a rescue and was abused by owners before which has made him very wary of all people and quite stressed by most things

The following active ingredients may be much more effective.

Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours.  This may help some itch and inflammation.

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical shampoos with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. When shampooing it is best to allow for a minimum of 10 minutes of contact time with the skin before rinsing it off. This contact time is critical to provide good kill down and penetration to the area for potential organisms. These topical items like chlorhexidine and miconozole can also be sprayed on the skin. (Micochlor spray is my an example ). This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied.  This can be done in conjunction and between the shampooing. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it.  This  can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon . It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.

1. Micochlor Plus Shampoo which has chlorhexidine and miconozole in it to assist with yeast and bacteria.

2. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.

3. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.

The shampoo may not be needed to cover the whole body however focussing on the affected areas.  Synergy is most important in the above discussion. The one spray with chlorhexidine can address potential bacteria and yeast and the other spray with the hydrocortisone can address the inflammation and itch. Together the two items work very well together.

These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores,  the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.

Until able to acquire the above items, the area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine.  It can be found at the pharmacy over the counter.  It may go by the name Hibiclens clens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection.  Topical  hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.

If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.

The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)

Duoxo pyo spray

3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

If able to trim the hair back some from the edges it may also allow for more airflow and drying of the area and slow the spread of these issues. As the hair holds in moisture and this can lead to more bacteria and yeast to start growing. They may not like the area cleaned however it can be most helpful.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Fantastic thank you. I will look these up. We are in the UK but I am sure amazon can help.
Sounds like its possible to treat with the above rather than worrying that the skin condition is a medical problem as such.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
More an unbalance of yeast and bacteria? I have ready gsd can be prone to such things
All dogs cab be prone to skin issues, dogs with more allergies or skin issues are more prone to damaged skin (like from scratching) leading to increase production of bacteria and yeast and this can then lead to more and continued skin issues Not resolving.
The Douxo items are available in UK, also can look for the similar active ingredients too. I assist people in UK each day here).
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Amazing thank you for your detailed reply.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just out of interest once it is uneer control would you recommend keeping the same routine of regular washing with and using these products to stop a flare up occurring again
That will be a good idea. Perhaps a bath every 2 weeks as a maintenance and then more often and sprays each time things reoccur. Earlier stopping it minimizes how severe it may get each time also.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much. I am really pleased to have some hope in getting him back to full health.
I am happy to hear you feel more happy about a plan forward now too. You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one  today. I wish for  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.