Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 9 week tomorrow cavachon - we got her on Tuesday,

Customer Question

I have a 9 week tomorrow cavachon - we got her on Tuesday , noticed yesterday that when she is running around after little bit she top using her left back leg only briefly. I have had a feel and it doesn’t distress her and she is not distressed when moving around . She is also using her leg to scratch
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the scratching. When did the Cavachon last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: oh the scratching is because of the collar - she doesn’t like . But I meant she uses that leg to do it . The 11/11 when she had her first vaccination.
JA: What's the Cavachon's name and age?
Customer: Millie - 9 weeks tomorrow
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Millie?
Customer: she has a heart murmur that we told she would grow out of
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 9 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Congratulations on your new puppy!

I'm sorry to hear Millie has got this issue and understand your concern for her.

There are several considerations here including a muscle strain, a knee cap that doesn't sit in its groove as it should, hip pain etc.

As Millie is so young, her muscle will still be forming and will be quite weak.

Does she have any other signs such as paw licking?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No paw licking
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She seems otherwise well
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She’ll be running around and suddenly stop using it . She eating and sleeping well

Ok, sure.

I would keep an eye on things and ensure signs do not worsen.

If you can, do also get a video of this gait from several angles.

As she is not distressed by it and we would hope it will improve soon, we don't have to rush to the vet today.

However, it is important a vet examines her.

This can be done at her next routine check, which is presumably in the next week or so.

If the vet has any concerns from their exam, they may recommend some imaging.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok this is what I thought. I’m going to book her in for her next vaccination next week

Ok, perfect.

Please do feel free to check back in if anything changes and to keep me updated on how her appointment goes.

It is also worth making the breeder aware, so she can let you know of any issues her littermates are having, or of any similar issues her mum or dad may have had in the past.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK I will message her
Ok, perfect!

I hope this has helped and stay safe!