RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Its Tortoise 4 and half months old called Simba. 18 days

Customer Question

Its Tortoise 4 and half months old called Simba . 18 days since we got him very active eats from hand does give some love . I noticed his right eye bubbles and he is . Advice rubbing a lot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Appetite changes can be worrying. Has the tortoise gained or lost any weight?
Customer: advice please
JA: And what's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: he looks grown but we haven’t weighed him . Its horsefield tortoise
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he his eating ok just bubles in eyes
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 8 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your tortoise. It sounds like he is quite irritated by his eye. Does he seem bright in himself or is he inactive/quiet?

It sounds like he probably has an eye infection/conjunctivitis. This can be as a result of lack of vitamin A, bacterial or viral infections. In tortoises it is common to have a condition called mycoplasma, which affects the eyes and also can cause respiratory issues such as bubbles from the nostrils and pneumonia. Herpes virus can also cause swelling of the eyelids & watery eyes. I would recommend bathing him twice daily in luke warm water in a shallow bath, with reptoboost solution added (an electrolyte). This will help to keep him hydrated.

Reptiles do not show symptoms of illness until they are quite sick, because their metabolism is very slow. This means when they are showing symptoms such as this they really need treatment ASAP. I would recommend having him checked by your vet ASAP, as he may need antibiotics/ anti-inflammatories and other medications. I would advise giving calcium supplementation incase the symptoms are due to hypocalcaemia. I would give calcivet or zolcal D, 0.1ml per 100g – once daily orally. You can also use a nebuliser (such as omron nebuliser for people) and use f10 antiseptic solution, diluted 1:250 with water. You can use this over the enclosure twice daily for 15 minutes so that they inhale the particles of antiseptic. This helps to treat respiratory issues.

Dr Coles