Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Zoe our Tibetan terrier is increasingly troubled. She cries

Zoe our Tibetan terrier is increasingly troubled. She cries out and then runs a little and then starts to bit the bottom of her tail nearest her body. She saw her vet two weeks ago for a cyst on the end of her tail, that is not what is troubling her. The vet at the time cleared anal glands which produced very dry matter. She is in obvious discomfort and either stands or runs around restlessly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the Tibetan Terrier been licking or rubbing the dryness?
Customer: She cannot reach right behind her. She is acting as though she doesnt know what is happening.
JA: And what's the Tibetan Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Zoe Quo is eight
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Zoe has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.Does she have any fur loss, pink skin or scabbing on her rump/ above her tail?Has she been scooting on her bum?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She hasn't been scooting on her bum. There is no fur loss above her tail, but there is some scurf. I just looked around her anus, which seems to be very slightly distended, I palpated around it without her objecting. But she did not like me lifting up her tail. Could it be that there is more of the anal gland irritating her, when the vet pulled it out two weeks ago it was very dry.
Absolutely, we would need to consider that her anal glands are impacted again or that she may have developed an anal gland infection/ abscess.Other considerations would include fleas (the itchiness is generally seen in this area), tail pain or a bacterial or fungal skin infection.Would it be possible to send a photo of the skin?When was she last treated for parasites and which product was used?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There really is not anything obvious to photograph. I take your point about the possibility of impacted anal glands.
As when she sits down she leaps up crying in pain. I have got an appointment with our vet at 1.0 tomorrow. So lets leave it there. I appreciate your thoughts. It is so awful when your dog cannot speak to you! Thanks. Diana
I absolutely agree!Definitely, the vet will check her glands again.They will also assess for any hip, spine or tail pain and will check the skin where it is scurfy.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g anti inflammatories and antibiotics.Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your summing up. I may sleep a bit better now.
Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.