Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

One of our cats has get a very runny eye and appears to be

Customer Question

One of our cats has get a very runny eye and appears to be in pain. We cannot touch her and she runs away if approached.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the cat's eye start hurting?
Customer: We have been away for a few days but she has been looked after. Looks like it was yesterday/today.
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She doe got outside but had not been out until we arrived back today. She was not well when we returned. She is not on any medication.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: She is called Molly and is was 15 in July.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Molly?
Customer: Rather overweight but not overly so. Generally eats well and is not as active as she once was.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 20 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Molly has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.Is she still eating and sociable?Would you be able to send a clear photo of the eye?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
She is eating a little. Not easy to send picture of the eye as she is hiding.
I understand.Is she squinting the eye shut?Does the cornea / surface of the eye appear cloudy?Is the discharge clear?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Discharge clear. Eye is cloudy
That's a worry.Cloudiness indicates inflammation and can be a sign of something more serious such as a deep corneal ulcer, uveitis or glaucoma.Unfortunately, it is very hard to comment further without being able to see the eye.As her signs came on quickly, we would consider a scratch from another cat, a foreign body (e.g. some grit), an infection etc.Given the cloudiness and the fact she seems in pain, it is important she sees a vet promptly.They will examine her and will likely stain the eye for any ulcers and examine it with with ophthalmoscope.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotic eye drops and oral anti inflammatories. If she is trying to rub at the eye, she will also be given a buster collar.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Hi there, how is Molly doing this morning?

I do hope all is well and that this has helped.

If you have any further questions please feel free to keep me updated.