Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat all of sudden is in hiding for the last 24 hours. she

Customer Question

Hello my cat all of sudden is in hiding for the last 24 hours. she does not seem hurt but behaving out if character
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation?
Customer: She is a rescue cat abou 5 years old quite timid. normally spend a lot of time in the garden but spent the last 24 hours at home hiding in the bedroom under the chair
JA: Does this timidity happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: She is generally very timid but would come out for a stroke at least 2 times a day not today
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with her timidity?
Customer: Ok she was a semi feral cat according to the vet , she is always timid but today is different
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: ferris 5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ferris?
Customer: not that I can think of. Besides she has lost interest in food in the last 24 hours
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Had she been eating and drinking?Does she have fast breathing, a limp, pale gums or a bloated tummy?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok she lost interest in eating and going out which totally unlike her. None of the symptoms above, at least that I can see.
She does not like to touch much in general
She went out only once for “ toilet” today Agai unusual for her
Thank you for this additional information.Any chance she has eaten something toxic such as a lily flower, human medicine, raisins, potpourri or cleaning product?Has she been spayed?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No in our household she is mostly an outdoor cat not very adventurous or trustworthy of other people. She does not eat outside the house as far as I know.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
At what point do you think I should take her to see a vet if things do not improve ? She has been spayed
Ok thank you.
I am just typing my reply.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you
Frustratingly, without other symptoms it is hard to know what exactly is going on and how serious it may be.Cats can hide away for relatively benign reasons, such as being intimidated by a neighbour cat, or more serious reasons such as having sustained an injury, eaten a toxin or developed a medical issue.This sort if behaviour could indicate, for example, a source of pain caused by pancreatitis or a blocked bike duct.If she cannot be tempted out and won't eat, a vet visit this evening is sensible. This is so we can examine her and rule out anything sinister.I would try some warm white fish or chicken and rice mixed with water.She may well require some medicine such as anti inflammatories and pain relief.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will try with food you suggested. Do you think it is wise to wait until tomorrow or not?
Thanks again
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She does not seems in pain…but hard to assess
Signs of concern (and that could indicate pain) would include fast breathing, pale gums, increased lethargy, total refusal to eat, vomiting or a fever (she may feel hot to the touch and have warm ears).
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok none of those symptoms according to my partner that manage to cuddle her for a handful of minutes few hours ago
That's good.Well this window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have throughout the evening and tomorrow.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you…. I really don’t know what to do as taking her it is always traumatic for her but at the same time I don’t want to miss on something important that could have prevented from happening
I understand.I'd always advise erring on the side of caution and taking a pet for a check up if they're really out of form. While it can be stressful, if she is unwell and requires medicine it is important.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you for all your help I appreciate it
Not at all. I know you'll be worried but hopefully her signs won't last long.

Hi there, how is Ferris getting on?

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 6 days ago.

I do hope all is well with Ferris.

If you have any further questions, please do let me know.

Take care,

Linda