Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My rabbit has a droopy eye and you can see her skin instead

Customer Question

My rabbit has a droopy eye and you can see her skin instead of her fur
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice the rabbit had this droopy eye? Does she have any allergies?
Customer: She has had it for a few weeks, but it suddenly got bad today. She seems sensitive to things but I’m not sure if she has an allergy
JA: And what's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: River, 1 year and a few months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about River?
Customer: She is not spayed, she is due to get spayed the 29th
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Has she been rubbing her eye?Would it be possible to send a photo of the eye?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She has not been rubbing it
Ok, sure.If you're having having trouble sending an image, you can email me directly at***@******.***
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (625T77P)
Thank you, ***** ***** downloading it.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i couldnt get the clearest picture
I can see where there is fur loss and the skin looks a little dark.
Generally, this would be due to excessive tear discharge.This can have several causes and, for River, I'd suspect a possible dental issue, blocked tear duct or infection.A vet visit is best to check her eye for any infection or ulcer and to examine her molar and incisor teeth.She may need some topical antibiotics for her eye and some anti inflammatories.If her back teeth are overgrown, River might require a dental filing and we should encourage as much fibre (grass and hay) consumption as we can. Do remember though, any diet change must be made regularly.
If we do find she needs a dental filing (burring) this could be done at the same time as her spay surgery.

I do hope that this has helped?

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 9 days ago.

Take care,

Linda.