RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My helmeted chameleon was lying on the cage floor he is

Customer Question

My helmeted chameleon was lying on the cage floor he is flopping and rolling and has poo stuck on his body he is darker than usual
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: He is 11 months and lyken
JA: What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: lyken
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No not really he didn’t shed too well last time
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He hasn’t pooed for w while and seems to have something stuck and a swollen abdomen
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He may be constipated
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 5 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your chameleon. He sounds very very poorly. They are very good at hiding symptoms of illness, because they are prey animals. This means they usually pretend everything is ok, unless they are very sick.

It sounds like he may have something stuck at his cloaca, especially if his abdomen is swollen. This could be a urate plug/build up of urates, or could be faeces. He is obviously uncomfortable considering the rolling & darkened skin. I would recommend bathing him twice daily in luke warm water in a shallow bath, with reptoboost solution added (an electrolyte). This will help to keep him hydrated.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 4 days ago.
Hi there,

Please don't hesitate to come back to this chat box if you have any further questions.

I would recommend having him checked by your vet ASAP, as he may need antibiotics/ anti-inflammatories and other medications. He likely will require pain killers and may need an enema to help him pass faeces.