Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog (golden retriever ~5 years old) has been having

My dog (golden retriever ~5 years old) has been having problems with diarrhea over the last month. He's otherwise fine. He had a checkup with the vet a week and a half ago and was given some probiotic paste but it didn't seem to help. In the last week it's become more frequent and more liquid and our vet isn't open again until monday. We've tried having him on boiled chicken and rice, make sure he drinks plenty of water and not given him treats but it hasn't seemed to help. Is there anything we can do for him while we wait for an appointment with the vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: diarrhea
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he doesn't seem to be in any pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Alfie, just over 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think all the info needed is in the first paragraph
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of? Did your veterinarian perform a fecal test?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He's been eating and drinking normally, there aren't any underlying conditions I know of. He recently had his worm treatment. They didn't perform any tests while we were there, it was only a regular check-up, but we were given a probiotic paste to go in his food and told to book another appointment if it didn't help. We're going to do that but we can't until next week.
The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools and even vomiting. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.Psyllium, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract. Kaolin-pectin is available over the counter and can be found online like at Amazon. This item can be soothing to the GI tract also.Kaolin/Pectin also can be looked for to soothe the GI tract also. The following is an example, there may be many different brand names to look for also:https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pro-pectalin#tab-0-2Rest the GI tract and offer softer and more easily digestible food like hamburger or chicken with rice. This will be softer on the lining of the GI tract and is very appetizing to help maintain appetite to. Pedialyte, milk and yogurt also can be soothing to the GI tract also and can help to keep the hydration status maintainedThere is a broad spectrum dewormer for dogs that is over the counter and can be found online like at Amazon or pet stores. This can address roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms
and whipworms. This may be considered If it has been some time since the last deworming. It can be looked at as a broad spectrum dewormer. It can be best to repeat the dosage as when roundworms are present often a second dosage is needed 2 weeks later. This can be found online or at pet stores. One name to look for is Beaphar Tabs or Bayer Tabs. If the loose stools continue having in a fecal test done at a veterinary clinic may be most helpful also. Below is one link.https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-drontal-wormers-c-17_1411/drontal-dog-tasty-bone-worming-tablets-p-7924
In my experience psyllium husk also has far better efficacy than probiotics on GI health and loose stools too.
Do you have any other questions at the moment?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, thank you this was helpful!
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Alfie today. I wish Alfie a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.