Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My French bulldog has a sinus infection and has coming from

Hi my French bulldog has a sinus infection and has green snot coming from nose I have taken him to the vets and he’s been prescribed a course of antibiotics but I’m really worried about him he will not stop reverse sneezing and he’s so exhausted
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the French Bulldog been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: for the last 2 nights and he is managing to eat and drink still at the moment but not eating all his food
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no
JA: What's the French Bulldog's name and age?
Customer: blu and he’s 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Blu?
Customer: he has issues with his pallet

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm very sorry to hear Blu is unwell and understand your concern.

When did he see the vet?

Was he given any injections?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Friday morning and no he hasn’t been given an injection

Is he taking his antibiotics ok?

Is he able to run about and play?

Are his gums pink in colour and wet to the touch?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He has been taking his antibiotics every time he is very tired and has not been really walking around much and he’s his gums are pink and wet to touch

Does his breathing seem laboured?

How many times a minute is he breathing?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not laboured I’d say just struggling to breath through his nose so he can’t sleep and relax because he keeps lifting his head to breath in through mouth and out of nose and I just counted and counted 8 breaths a minute
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
His been prescribed amoxicillin and an anti inflammatory

Ok, thank you.

Do you know if he had a fever?

Does he seem worse than when the vet saw him?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She didn’t check his fever ? So I don’t know and no I would say he’s the same which is why I’m concerned that the antibiotics are not working ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (3ZV7PL3)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He’s like this all night

I am just reviewing the video now. Thank you.

While I appreciate his breathing is noisy, this could be explained by a build up of snot and mucus in the upper airways and is not necessarily a big concern.

We would tend to worry when breathing is rapid and shallow and when dogs cannot settle as they are not getting enough oxygen.

These dogs may stand with their neck stretched out and aren't able to lie down as it makes it hard for them to catch their breath.

His signs could be explained by his infection and likely aren't help by the pre-existing breathing issues he has (with his soft palate).

Antibiotics can take 48 hours to start working.

Having said all this, if you are concerned and feel he is not improving, another vet check is sensible. I would certainly want to check his temperature and also to listen to his lung sounds and ensure his oxygen saturation is not low.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you for your advise the issue I face is do I wait till tomorrow to see if his condition gets better or do I find an emergency vet to check him over

It's never wrong to see an emergency vet if you're worried.

You know your dog best.

If Blu is not himself, I would advise a visit this evening.

Even if the vet is happy with how he is doing and does not alter his treatment, it won't have been a wasted trip. It is important to ensure there is nothing more going on and he is on the right track.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi I just phoned my normal vet and she said with it being only a day on the antibiotics that I should see how he goes over the next few days

Absolutely, it can take 48 hours so I can understand them saying this.

However, if you feel Blu is worsening, don't hesitate to have him seen.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don’t think he is worsening I just feel really bad for him he’s really exhausted and I feel like he needs something to help him breath so he can sleep properly he looks so exhausted if there anything I can do that will help him ?

It may help to humidify the room, to loosen his secretions.

If you don't have a humidifier, you can run a steamy bath or shower and have him stand in the room for 10 minutes.

You could also ask your vet for Bisolvon, this is a powder that breaks down the mucus in the respiratory tract.

Encourage rest and ensure he is taking in plenty of fluid by offering wet food mixed with water.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you very much for your advise

Not at all and wishing Blu a very speedy recovery.

Hi there, how is Blu doing this morning?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi not to good he now has a abscess on his lower gum covering his lower teeth
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Tried to get a picture
I would wonder if this is an epulis, which is a benign gum growth common in Frenchies.Certainly, a vet should look at it, to confirm it isn't an abscess.If you feel the antibiotics haven't helped yet, I would have him seen by a vet today.

How is little Blu getting on?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Linda, I took him to emergency vet and they said they have 2 options either pay £2000 to get him an mri scan and X-rays or try a different lot of stronger antibiotics. So Im trying the stronger antibiotics for now and he said that it does look like a epulis on his gum which will need to be removed via surgery at some point

Gosh, that is very expensive isn't it. Unfortunately, MRIs are known for being one of the most costly diagnostic tools there is.

Hopefully these stronger antibiotics make all the difference.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I didn’t think it was very safe to change antibiotics without finishing the course ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He’s now been put on doxycycline

The gold standard would be to swab the discharge and then start the most appropriate antibiotic.

However, this is costly and it take several days to get results.

So we often trial the medicine we think will work best.

However, as Blu showed no improvement with the initial antibiotics, your vet must feel the infection is not responding to them.

Also, amoxicillin and doxycycline can interact and result in less effective antibiotic activity.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What do you mean interact so the new antibiotic will likely not work either ?

If we use both together, we know that the Amoxicillin does not work as well. So, continuing the Amoxicillin may not be appropriate.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh I see what you mean now I’m only giving him doxycycline now and not giving him the amoxicillin anymore

Exactly, this is best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Brilliant thank you

Not a problem!

Anything else, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will do thank you