RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Swelling/extra scales near royal pythons eye, just now not

Customer Question

Swelling/extra scales near royal pythons eye
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the python lick the skin as well?
Customer: just now not seen it last few days, not noticing licking the area
JA: And what's the python's name and age?
Customer: noodle and maybe 5/6 (we’ve had him since 2017; supposedly 2 then)
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: last shed a couple of weeks ago eye caps were on the shed skin
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here are some photos of the effected area and the opposite eye which also doesn’t look exactly right. The photo with the towel is the last I had taken; 26th September. Shed skin on October 23rd, been eating roughly monthly (last feed before shed; I have been a little absent and keep forgetting to take rats out of the freezer latey). Has been excreting fine I think. Wood and glass enclosure with large water bowl, wet and dry hides and ceramic heat lamp behind a protector cage.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m ok to wait
Expert:  OleksandraC-admin replied 12 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Oleksandra
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would still like an answer thank you
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 12 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your snake. I apologise that there has been a delay in answering, I have just seen your question pop up now.

It looks like he has several layers of retained shed around this area. It is an unusual place for shed to become retained. It looks quite crusty and abnormal. The area infront of the eye looks like it is actually a little swollen, which is likely the reason the shed is becoming retained here.

I would recommend bathing him twice daily in luke warm water in a shallow bath, with reptoboost solution added (an electrolyte). This will help to keep him hydrated. Gently washing the area around his eye with some luke warm water and using a cotton bud to gently wipe this area may help to remove some of the scales.

However, if the swelling is still present, then I would recommend having him seen by a vet ASAP. It is possible he could have a small abscess in this area.  This is common in reptiles and often they do not show many symptoms other than a little swelling. In this case he would. need antibiotics & anti inflammatories. In reptiles often abscesses need surgically opened up. Please do not hesitate to come back to us if you have further questions.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for the advice I’ll get that sorted

No problem.