Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Suspect dog has chewed a clay pipe found in garden. He is

Suspect dog has chewed a clay pipe found in garden. He is trying to chew things, is drinking lots and will not eat his dinner.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: Noticed in the past hour. Energy seems ok. Will not eat his dinner
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No but is trying to chew the carpet
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Basil. 5 years old Scottish Terrier
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Basil?
Customer: No. He is normally healthy, energetic and loves his dinner!

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK. based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Basil is not himself and understand your concern.

When did he start the excessive chewing?

Is part of the clay pipe missing?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the clay pipe is missing from where we placed it after finding it on the garden. Gave him his dinner but he showed no interest. He drank lots of water and tried to chew the door mat. We have looked in his mouth but cannot see anything. He has coughed once strongly

How big is the missing clay pipe please?

Hi there, how is Basil getting on now?

Do you know the amount of clay pipe that is missing?

Without more information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice for Basil, though I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Dogs can chew and eat things they shouldn't (pica) for many reasons including boredom, nausea, a nutritional deficiency etc.

The worry here is that if he has ingested a significant bit of clay pipe, there may be a gut obstruction.

Signs would include:

• vomiting

• a reduced appetite

• a bloated abdomen

• diarrhoea or constipation

• lethargy

However, it would be unusual for a dog to actually ingest something like this, so hopefully Basil has not.

Given his recent desire to eat things he shouldn't, a general health 'MOT' is sensible to rule out any digestive disorders.

Do ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer and is on a digestible diet.

Of course, if he is showing signs of a gut obstruction, he does need to see a vet immediately as any blockage would need to be removed.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions about Basil,

Linda.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your email and advice. We have found the clay pipe, thank goodness and Basil seems much better today. Normal in fact. Thank you again. Gilly Hipwood

Oh brilliant news! Thank you so much for letting me know. Take care.