Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Over the last 24 hours our miniature Yorkie has developed

Over the last 24 hours our miniature Yorkie has developed what appears to be a cough ever hour or so she will cough as though she is trying to be sick then just like us when she appears to have coughed something (but nothing comes out) up she stops and appears ok. She then settles down and seems ok for a hour or so... this is happening even through the night.(a couple of times). wakening her up coughing then relaxes and goes back to sleep..this has been happening over the last 24hrs... she doesn’t appear to be to I’ll shes eating her food regularly etc....
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How is the Yorkie's breathing? Is it any louder, slower, or faster than normal?
Customer: Maybee seems a bit louder at times but nothing really noticeable as such
JA: And what's the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: Mitzie approx 8years old were not 100% sure as she’s been taken/ of an old friend who rescued her but couldn’t keep her... not certain about her origin
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not particularly nothing else seems out the ordinary

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this with Mitzie. The symptoms you describe could be consistent with an upper respiratory infection (kennel cough), often this is viral in nature and self resolves after a couple of days without treatment, but can be very contagious to other dogs.

You can try feeding a wet diet and offering a little honey in warm water to ease symptoms. Your vet may also prescribe an anti inflammatory medication. Antibiotics are usually not required.

In the event of symptoms persisting more than a few days or becoming lethargic/off food or has any changes to her breathing then she should be seen by a vet straight away.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you I’ll take your advice over the next couple of days and if nothing changes I’ll c the vet... thank you.

You're welcome