Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat, Felix, has always been a big cat but lately he seems

My cat, Felix, has always been a big cat but lately he seems to have lost a lot of weight. I thiught I would take him to the PDSA where he is registered a while ago but they azre still not operating normally. I am now quite worried about him as he is light a shadow of his former self. He also has a small protusion on his right side but I am not sure if it is new. He is eating OK and seems quite normal, going out to do his business etc. He is about 12 years old. He came to me through the cat flap one Christmas Eve and never left, obviously a stray and that was about 11+ years ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cannot think of anything else but I do not know his weight just that he has lost a lot of weight which suddenly you see although it has probably been the same for a while.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of Felix ?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No underlying conditions except that he is a glutton! He waits until the others finish and then eats their left overs!! However he hasn't done this so much lately. He weighed 8 kilos the last time he was weighed but that was over 18 months ago. He is normally quite healthy. This protusion is az concern.
Has he been drinking and/or urinating more? Any changes to the stools, like looser or more firm?
I like his “Christmas” arrival too. I am a cat person and have had many cats like
Félix adopt me too)).
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No drinking mire or urinating more. He goes out in the garden so I do not see his stools but I have seen them a day or si ago and they were not solid but not runny.
Will it be possible to send some photos of him? What are your feeding him now?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am feeding him on the usual cat food, Felix, Gourmet, Encore he likes a variety! Re photos I will try but it could take some time. What could you see from a photograph?
It May show me his hair coat, muscle level, overall a bit of his health too.
We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this. No hurry on the photos.
Also I am interested in the small protrusion that you wrote about too.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK I will try. It is like a bulge but isn't hard. His coat is good, not greasy I am not good with the technical stuff re photos. Not being difficult.
If the stools are a bit looser then this may be one area of some energy loss and weight loss, I will discuss this next and more protein into the system also.
The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools and even vomiting. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.Psyllium, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds of body weight twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract. It can assist as a fiber source to help form stools and provide more GI regularity and also acts at times as an “indirect probiotic” as more beneficial bacteria in the Intestines can grow in the psyllium husk. This can be mixed into the food or even liquids that you are providing for ease of administration. Psyllium husk can be found over the counter at the pharmacy. Metamucil is one brand name, there may be many generic powder forms also to look for. Pepto Bismol can also help as an anti-inflammatory to the lining of the GI tract also. This can be administered every 6-8 hours at a rate of 0.5 ml/pound of body weight. However if blood is seen in the vomit or stools then best to not offer Pepto Bismol.Kaolin/Pectin also can be looked for to soothe the GI tract also. The following is an example, there may be many different brand names to look for also:https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pro-pectalin#tab-0-2
Please disregard the Portion on Pepto bismol above for cats. That is for dogs not cats. My apologies for that portion that included the Pepto bismol.
There is a broad spectrum dewormer for dogs and cats that is over the counter and can be found online like at Amazon or pet stores. This can address roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms and whipworms. This may be considered If it has been some time since the last deworming. It can be looked at as a broad spectrum dewormer. It can be best to repeat the dosage as when roundworms are present often a second dosage is needed 2 weeks later. This can be found online or at pet stores. One name to look for is Beaphar Tabs or Bayer Tabs. If the loose stools continue having in a fecal test done at a veterinary clinic may be most helpful also. Below is one link.https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-drontal-wormers-c-17_1411/drontal-dog-tasty-bone-worming-tablets-p-7924
A higher protein intake also can be most beneficial to assist with muscle loss too. To stimulate appetite one can offer more appetizing foods like milk, yogurt, meat, chicken, turkey, fish, or eggs. Warming the food in the microwave also can make the the food more appealing and may stimulate appetite better too. Canned food is often more appetizing than the dry food. In addition looking forward the items with more gravy may stimulate appetite more than the pate.Nutrical is a high energy food supplement that can be found at pet stores or online. It has energy and vitamins in it to assist when not feeling well. It comes in a tube like toothpaste which can make it easy to administer.Cats technically are lactose intolerant, however only a small percentage truly are.
In 2005 I read an article showing dairy working as good or better than oral laxatone for constipation. It is also much easier to give to. My cats have had dairy on the ranch for decades. They all do well with it. If your cat does get gi upset from dairy. Then it will not be a good fit. However most do very well with it. It also will smell better than water, such that it will entice to drink more too.
If not able to get photos that is alright too. I just like to be thorough). If you can explain the lump or protrusion also in more detail that also can be most beneficial.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
A photo would not give you any more detail because it isn't apparent all the time, it is just the way his fur lays where it is more visible. Sorry I am not being good at this am I? I will try at food time and will send you a photo if I can. I am so worried about him. I had lost two of my cats this year, the first was Jake, he was almost 21 so I almost expected him to go. The other one was Max, who was my favourite. He was hit by a car and his injuries were too extensive and he had to be put to sleep. I cannot lose any more. I am sure you will understand.
I do totally understand. Perhaps the protrusion is more of a underlying bone that is more apparent as less muscle mass over the bones now. What do you think of this? As they lose muscle mass the bones are more apparent to stick out more?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I cannot feel any hardness when I feel his side so perhaps your theory is correct. He certainly doesn't seem upset when I feel his side.
That is also a very good sign then too. This is a likely reason as to why it may come and go it seems from time to time.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have to go out now but I will try getting the photo when I get back and send it to you, Is that OK with you?
We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this. I will be happy to follow up later too.
Enjoy your day and look forward to talking later.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you Mike. I will be in touch later.
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Felix today. I wish Felix a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have the photos in my gmail file but do not know how to send them to you here! Is there an email account to send them to?
When sending pictures or videos do not text them to this number as it is just message forwarding number. They will then not be sent through for me to review. Instead you can send them through the Just Answer application or attach them to the message line with the paper clip icon or camera symbol. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chat box where you type. You may also press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).
Or you can upload to google drive or drop box and share the link with me here.
The Just Answer app can also be downloaded and it may be easier to then upload pictures/video through the app also.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
As I said I am not technically minded. To explain, I took the photos via my iphone and emailed them to myself on gmail. I am trying to get them from gmail to the 'send box' but to no avail. I will keep trying various ways but it could take a while. I am definitely not 'thick' but this is beating me!!! Sorry!

No worries. We are just not allowed to share our personal contact information and this is why I do not have an email I can directly share with you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No I completely understand and I was not expecting your personal email anyway! My son is going to guide me through the process but he doesn't get home until late when he will ring me so it could be either late tonight or tomorrow when they arrive. Is that OK with you?
That is quite alright. Actually I have no issue sending personal information). Happy to help just follow policies. Have a good day my friend.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you Mike and for your advice so far. I will send the photos, under my son's guidance, later this evening.
Sounds good my friend:-)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am so sorry but my son could not help me as he doesn't use Windows 10. I have to use it but I do not understand the more technical bits so I am afraid I cannot send the photos even though I have saved them onto the computer!! If I an sort it out oved the next day or so I will send them to you. If not, thank you for your patience in dealing with a mad woman!! If I need to call again I will request your help, you have been great. Thank you. Audrey Harris
No problem Audrey. I do understand). Thank you for the update, please keep me updated on how things progress and have a wonderful week. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your understanding Mike and I will certainly keep you updated on Felix. You have been lovely to us.
Thanks ))