Amy Estrada
Amy Estrada,
Experience:  dasdasd
114025840

I just had some concerns and questions about my crested

Hello I just had some concerns and questions about my crested gecko
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the gecko's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I’ve had him for about 2 weeks
JA: What type of food does he normally eat?
Customer: hes Eaten a couple wax worms but mainly repashy and pangea I’m not sure how much of the prepared diet he’s actually eating (if any at all)
JA: What's the gecko's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** his age i don’t know exactly, the pet shop people seemed a bit uninformed, they said maybe 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He’s currently 4 grams and looks very skinny. My concern is his weight.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He gets fired up and is alert and active at night and sometimes during the day. Most of the time he refuses live food but has eaten a wax worm twice in the last 4 days.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’m ok with waiting

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry you have not received an answer to your question and would like to help.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-Has he been passing stools?

-It appears you are offline. I am sorry we were not able to connect to discuss Spark's appetite.

-Based on the information you provided, I can offer some general advice.

-Once you are back online, feel free to reach out if you have further questions.

-Most health issues with reptiles are due to an incomplete understanding of their care needs.

-Juvenile crested geckos should be housed in plastic terrariums or standard small reptile tanks with a screen top. Adult crested geckos can be housed in a 20-gallon tank with a screen top. One male can be kept with several females. Males will fight and should not be housed together.

-Reptiles are ectotherms (body temperature varies with environmental temperature), so a proper temperature range for activity and feeding must be maintained. A thermometer is essential for accurate temperature measurements.

-Crested geckos are best kept between 78 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. It can drop to the low 70s at night. They are prone to heat stress, so in summer, they should be placed in a cooled room if the temperature exceeds 87 degrees. During the winter nighttime temperatures in the 60s are well tolerated.

-A low-wattage incandescent bulb or a ceramic heat emitter in a reflector type fixture placed on the screen top over one side of the tank can maintain the desired range. One side of the tank should be unheated so that crested geckos can choose a cooler area to regulate their body temperature. A subtank reptile heat pad or heat tape under one side of the tank regulated by a thermostat can also be used.

-If you have live plants in your vivarium a fluorescent bulb running the length of the tank can be used. Crested geckos rest in the day and are active at night. They do not require UVB light if fed a diet that contains Vitamin D3. Lights should be turned off at night.

-Reptile carpet, peat-moss-based soil mix, and coconut fiber pulp are all appropriate for the substrate.

-Crested geckos are arboreal and like to climb. Cork bark sections for vertical and ground-level shelters, dried wood branches, and plants all provide this opportunity. Good plants include small Ficus benjamina, Dracaena spp. and Pothos.

-Complete powdered diets are appropriate. Feeding live prey is not necessary, although it may provide enrichment.  The diet should be mixed with two parts water and offered in shallow dishes three times a week as much as these geckos will eat at a feeding. Remove uneaten diet after 24 hrs. Hand-feeding juveniles may be required to assure they are eating well.

-If live food is offered, lightly coat with a vitamin/mineral supplement that contains calcium, vitamin D3 and a complement of other essential vitamins and minerals. Offer once a week as a treat/supplement.

-Water should always be available in a shallow dish. The humidity of 50-70% percent should be maintained. In dry areas, the tanks should be misted nightly or a cool air humidifier placed in the room. Hygrometers (relative humidity gauges) should be used to assure proper humidity. 

-With juveniles, you may have to offer the food on a spoon while holding the gecko to assure they are eating enough.

-Respiratory infections, parasites, intestinal obstruction, vitamin imbalances, skin problems, and infections can all cause a poor appetite.

-If your gecko does not improve in appetite once you are sure the care if optimal and feeding is individual, he should be evaluated by a veterinarian to assure he does not have a medical issue that is causing his poor appetite.

I hope the information was helpful as well and Spark feels better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Amy thanks for the reply! So I’ve checked all the boxes when it comes to his habitat, heat and humidity etcetera. I’m sure he just needs to acclimatise a bit more. Although I do have a question about lighting. I use a ceramic heat Emmiter connected to a thermostat to regulate temp, but for lighting in the daytime I only use a uvb bulb. Should I just use a led day time bulb instead, and just add vitamin d3 to his prepared diet. Also how much calcium with vitamin d3 are you actually supposed to add to the food? Appreciate the help!

-if you are using a prepared diet, you do not need to add supplements. If you are feeding live prey, you should sprinkle the supplement into the bag and shake the bag to coat them prior to offering the prey.

-Crested Geckos do not need UV lighting, so an LED light is fine.

-I had to feed my baby crestie from a spoon for several months.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you just dab it on their chin. Or just hope they lick it off the spoon.

-I dabbed it on his nose and offered the spoon after he licked a few bites.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it! Thanks so much for the help!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good to finally speak so someone who knows what they are talking about!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

I hope Spark is feeling better. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Amy Estrada,
Experience: dasdasd