RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My bearded dragon is 8 months old, and for the past few

Customer Question

Hi, my bearded dragon is 8 months old, and for the past few weeks he’s only been eating 2 locust a day, and now this week he’s been eating nothing, he’s just hiding away, I’m sure the temperature is correct in the tank, im not sure wether to get him checked out or not.. thanks
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Bearded Dragon's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I’ve been concerned for the past week as he’s not moving much, not eating or pooping all week
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the Bearded Dragon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: He doesn’t seem to be in any pain, and doesn’t seem to have lost much weight, I gave him a bath yesterday seemed to be ok with that
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: I called him spike, and he’s about 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Spike?
Customer: The past 7 months everything was fine, just not sure what’s happening now
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok keep searching
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 16 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Oleksandra-Moderator
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 14 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your bearded dragon.

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 13 days ago.

I haven't heard back from you so wanted to give you some advice. 

I would recommend having him checked by your vet ASAP, as he may need antibiotics/ anti-inflammatories and other medications.

I would recommend bathing him twice daily in luke warm water in a shallow bath, with reptoboost solution added (an electrolyte). This will help to keep him hydrated.

Reptiles do not show symptoms of illness until they are quite sick, because their metabolism is very slow. This means when they are showing symptoms such as this they really need treatment ASAP.

You can also syringe feed him with some critical care formula which is an electrolyte formula to keep him hydrated and get some fluid passing through.

I would advise giving calcium supplementation incase the symptoms are due to hypocalcaemia/metabolic bone disease. I would give calcivet or zolcal D, 0.1ml per 100g – once daily orally.

However it is most important to have him seen by a vet as well as having a faecal sample analysed so that you can determine what is going on and treat the underlying problem.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, thank you for that information, yeah he’s still not eating much, today he ate 3 locust, but for the past week he hasn’t eaten anything, he spends all day hiding away in his cave so he’s not moving around as much as he used too, I’m going to see if I can find a vet near by to check on him.

Yes I would recommend that as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.