Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cats gone into labour, she’s seems ok, but was previously

Customer Question

Hi there my cats gone into labour, she’s seems ok, but was previously straining and partially passed a sac of fluid which has gone back in. She’s got slightly confused as my other cat has kittens and so took one and to start cleaning etc. she now doesn’t seem to be straining as much. Just looking for advice as to if I should leave to get on with it or keep a close eye
JA: The Vet will be able to help, and can answer any follow-ups you may have. How long has the cat had this fluid?
Customer: within the hour
JA: Hi there. Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: yeah she regularly goes outside, not on any meds
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: lily
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lily?
Customer: shes a pretty vocal cat, so it’s hard to tell if shes properly distressed or it’s just her normal behaviour
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Lily.When did her contractions start?
Is she still actively contracting?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It doesn’t seem like it she’s curled up with our other cat now just cleaning the kittens. She’s had the tell tell sign of labour all day, seeking out nesting areas etc but only started to strain probably just before 7. It seemed to get intense for about 15 minutes, then she got confused with the other kittens making noise.
Thank you.Cats can experience interrupted labour , especially first time moms.There may even be a day between contractions.If the cat is contracting for an hour or longer, this can indicate a kitten is stuck and emergency care should be sought.

Hi there, how is Lily getting on?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We’re on 4 kittens!

Ah lovely news!

If there is anything else you need to know in the mean time, please just ask.

Wishing her all the very best!