Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Cat abscess, About 2 weeks and he's old so no, Piers, we

Customer Question

Cat abscess
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the cat been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: About 2 weeks and he's old so no
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Piers, we don't know, he's a res ue so we think about 12
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation?  You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

If this is a bite wound abscess, Piers' vet will need to open it widely, flush with an antimicrobial solution, debride (devitalized tissue removed), and prescribe a systemic antibiotic to be given for 5-7 days. Light anesthesia may need to be provided. The wound is either left open to drain or a drain is sewn into the partially closed wound.

I have to leave my computer for the night but promise to reply in my morning if need be.  I'm in the Hawaii time zone.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.