Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog refuses to eat and keeps throwing up yellow bile,

Customer Question

My dog refuses to eat and keeps throwing up yellow bile
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? Any changes in energy?
Customer: Exactly a week ago. She is a picky eater and tends to go in these hunger strikes but usually it will not last longer than 2-3 days. She started eating again a bit on Thursday and Friday and then yesterday again wouldn’t eat. This morning she is very low energy.
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Hard to tell, she’s not making any noises but she keeps circuling around the house or just sleeps
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ruby, 4 year old boxer
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ruby?
Customer: nothing that I can think of right now
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Ruby.Are her gums pink and wet?Had she been spayed?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Gums are pink and wet, hasn’t been spayed
Thank you.When was her last season?Has she had any discharge from her vagina or is she licking her back end?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
End of October, no discharge or licking
I cannot personally make phone calls but can continue talking via typing if that's OK.
Is she up to date with her vaccines and wormer?Has she recently changed her diet or eaten something indigestible (such as a sock, bone or corn cob) or toxic (such as raisins, chocolate or human medicine)?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Her vaccinations are up to date and worming as well.
We changed her diet few months ago.
Nothing that I know of. But we weren’t home for most of the day Sunday and that’s the day she stopped eating.
Thank you, ok.Does she suffer from separation anxiety?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
When we came home that she had been throwing up yellow bile everywhere in the house.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I think so thats why we didn’t think much of it the first days. We thought that she was just upset and refused to eat because we left alone that day.
Understood, sure.Certainly her signs may have been brought on or exacerbated if she is an anxious girl.However, as she's now lethargic and she hadn't improved with time, I'd want her seen today if possible. There may be more going on such as a gut obstruction, unseen toxin ingestion, liver disease or pancreatitis.The vet will examine her and may run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.Her treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g fluids, antibiotics and an anti nausea injection.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** ring around the area to see who can take her today as our clinic is closed today.
If you need help finding an open clinic, please send me your postcode.

Hi there, how is Ruby doing?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We took her to emergency vets and they said she doesn’t seem to have an infection or nothing seems to hurt so they gave her an injection to stop the nausea. We are taking her to our vet tomorrow to try to get some tests done. But the injection helped because she went and had some food and water and she’s tried to play this evening so that’s nice to see.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Oh that's really promising, good.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sure thing!