Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

My son’s tortoise is behaving abnormally.. his eyes are a

Customer Question

Hello, my son’s tortoise is behaving abnormally.. his eyes are a bit blurry and he is a bit lethargic. One of his eyes discharged something white.He is not keen to move around as much. Could this be maybe because my son picked him up when he was asleep or else? Thanks
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the tortoise been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: We noticed it today when we we decided to give him a bath. We just put some food out for him to see if he eats, we don’t normally feed on sumdays
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: unlikely
JA: What's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Tornado, he is young. 1.6 months roughly
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tornado?
Customer: like what?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

I’m sorry to hear that Tornado is unwell.

It sounds like Tornado may well have an infection. Has Tornado seen a vet for this problem already?

What sort of tortoise is Tornado?

You can use this link to find your nearest vet.

I don't think an illness like you have described would be caused by your son picking him up whilst Tornado was asleep. If you disturbed hibernation then that would be different but its May so I'm very much hoping Tornado is not hibernating.

https://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet-practice/