Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

My 15 year old snake has been laying eggs for over 30 hours

Customer Question

My 15 year old snake has been laying eggs for over 30 hours (there were 6 when I got up yesterday morning) and it seems there are more to come but she hasn't laid any for over 24 hours now. I tried bathing her and she seemed to be trying to move the eggs but no luck yet.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the snake's situation?
Customer: Like I said she is nearly 15 and this is only the second time she has laid eggs. They are not fertilised eggs
JA: What type of food does she normally eat?
Customer: She has 1 large mouse weekly or bi-weekly. But she has not wanted to eat for a while, I now realise it is because of the eggs
JA: And what's the snake's name and age?
Customer: Sephy, 15 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sephy?
Customer: No I don't think so other than that she is a corn snake
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

I’m sorry to hear that Sephy is unwell and that you've had to wait to speak to a vet.

Egg binding is common in pet reptiles maybe about 10% of reproductive females suffer with problems.

There are many causes,

dehydration

low calcium levels

moderate anaemia

malnutrition or obesity

lack of appropriate nest box

infection

Regardless of the cause please don't try to milk the eggs. You can risk the oviduct rupturing which will cause periodontitis.

Instead contact your local vet clinic. You might need to ask if they are happy to see snakes as they may recommend you see an exotic vet. The vet can administer oxytocin if appropriate and probably a calcium injection.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I think all the eggs have come out now and I got her to have a drink. She is obviously very tired now but do you think I should offer food now or wait until she appears interested?

You can offer food Sephy will be feeling quite weak

Here is link for feeding guide for a corn snake. Usually supplements are not required if they are healthy;

https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Feeding-Snakes-black-white.pdf