Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cats paw there is something wrong with it he can barely

Customer Question

My cats paw there is something wrong with it he can barely put weight on it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: Pain in my kittens rear paw he can barely put any weight on it
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Blue
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Caught a couple of ticks on him one over 3 weeks ago and another yesterday. He has had treatment for them
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?

Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of? Will it be possible to send a video of trying to walk and weight bear?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No issues. He is trying to sleep so no video available. He is due at the vet tomorrow for neutering just trying to see if this is an emergency

Does the paw seem more swollen, tender? Has he been outdoors recently?

If eating and drinking have been normal so far and overall is seeming quite stable quite likely now an emergency to begin with.

It is good to hear that is sleeping/resting too.

How does the paw/leg feel?

Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 17 days ago.
I have not heard any more replies and based on going outdoors there may have been a cat bite.  Will discuss this next.  Many times when cat’s have had a fight with another cat they can get infections. Cats have a bacteria in their mouth called Pastuerella. When they bite other cats their teeth can inject this bacteria into the tissue, then the skin closes back over this. Then over the next days a deepening infection can start to grow under the skin. This may take many days or even a week to show up. However when it does form an abscess the area can become very painful and sore. They can start to act much like this. It will be best to be seen at a clinic. They will likely need to get on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories before this condition gets any worse. There is an antibiotic called Convenia you can ask about. One injection lasts 14 days, such that you do not have to give daily antibiotics.

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Blue today. I wish Blue a speedy recovery and have a wonderful day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.