Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My puppy paw is all swollen she had a cut on her paw pad and

Customer Question

My puppy paw is all swollen she had a cut on her paw pad and bandaged it up, I’m not sure if the boot was too tight Its really swollen and looks red
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the puppy cut her paw? Is she bleeding at all?
Customer: she cut her paw a few days ago and the vet bandages it up we bought a boot to take her outside but when I gave took the boot off after a few hours the paw it swollen
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: lilo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lilo?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Lilo.  Can you upload photos of all sides of her paw to our conversation?   You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (Q4PLL6T)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It’s went down a bit in the last 20 minutes
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She isn’t yelping when we are touching it and has just went to sleep
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m trying to keep it elevated and got ice on and off it

The excellent photos reveal a clean cut of the pad.  These rarely get infected but you can have her stand in a solution of chlorhexidine (Hibitane, Hibiscrub) twice daily to keep the area clean and disinfected.  These are found in your local chemist.  Wrapping isn't essential but if you do so, do so lightly.  The swelling will go down now that the bandage is removed.  Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Will salt water work to keep it clean?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I do anything else? Also when should the swelling and readdress go down?

Salt water isn't much of a disinfectant.  The swelling redness is already going down. The paw should look normal within 24 hours.  Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

You're quite welcome.  If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.