RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My male, adult leopard gecko is not eating, I only adopted

Customer Question

My male, adult leopard gecko is not eating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the leopard gecko's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: I only adopted him from a breeder a month ago and he will not willingly eat anything other than waxworms- I have only fed him these twice, once when I first got him, and earlier this week to test if he would eat at all. He is drinking fine and has done two small excrements after eating the waxworms.
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Not at all.
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: he is called Pablo.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Pablo?
Customer: The breeder said he may not be eating due to it being breeding season but barely eating in a month is worrying me now!
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 19 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 17 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your gecko.

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

Yes, I would say it is unlikely to be related to breeding season, a month is a long time! Did he eat waxworms normally? Or is he refusing all food? What is his enclosure/set up like?

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 16 days ago.

I would recommend bathing him twice daily in luke warm water in a shallow bath, with reptoboost solution added (an electrolyte). This will help to keep him hydrated. 

Reptiles do not show symptoms of illness until they are quite sick, because their metabolism is very slow. This means when they are showing symptoms such as this they really need treatment ASAP.

You can also syringe feed him with some critical care formula which is an electrolyte formula to keep him hydrated and get some fluid passing through.

I would advise giving calcium supplementation incase the symptoms are due to hypocalcaemia/metabolic bone disease. I would give calcivet or zolcal D, 0.1ml per 100g – once daily orally.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles