Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

The dog is biting her leg, it's red raw and I need to know

Customer Question

The dog is biting her leg, it's red raw and I need to know if u can give her a small amount of ibuprofen to help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the dog been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: Both but the fair is now off it red raw and she is pain
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dog is popsi she is 15.5 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I just need to know if I can give her a little it of pain relief until I can take her the vet tomorrow
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 9 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.No, please do not be tempted to give ibuprofen as it can be toxic even in small doses.You should use a buster collar to prevent licking and bathe the lesion with salt water.If she can settle and is calm, she can be seen in the morning for pain relief.If distressed, she should see a vet now.You're welcome to send a photo of her skin for me to assess.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (M6GQ4L7)
Bless her, this does look very uncomfortable and infected.If you can have her seen tonight, I would.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
If I can see anyone what can I give her so she's more comfortable or to make her sleepy. Shall I try and cover the soar so she can get at it. I've just put a buster collar on her.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can't
No it should be left open to the air to prevent worsening of the infection.This isn't something we can treat at home, she needs veterinary care and prescription medicine asap.

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Wishing Popsi all the very best

Take care,

Linda.