Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My German shepherd puppy was bitten by a tick 2 weeks ago,

Customer Question

My German shepherd puppy was bitten by a tick 2 weeks ago, the tick was removed with the removal tool however she has had a lump there since and it now looks like the lump has burst
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the puppy bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: No bleeding but there is exudate on the lump which has formed a crust
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: lucy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lucy?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Lucy.  While infection is rarely seen at the site of a tick bite, a foreign body reaction (sterile abscess) is common and this is what you may be seeing.  Can you upload close-up photos of representative skin to our conversation?  You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (VMS1T17)

Thank you.  This appears to be foreign body reaction as I posted above.  The area usually normalizes in the next few weeks.  I recommend not doing anything aggressive (lancing, surgical excision) until you wait 2-3 weeks while keeping the area clean and disinfected with over the counter chlorhexidine solution twice daily.  You can find the chlorhexidine in the form of Hibitane or Hibiscrub in your local chemist.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.