Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Got 2 pups turning 11months old both started with the coughs

Customer Question

Got 2 pups turning 11months old both started with the coughs sounds like something stuck in their throat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the puppy able to breathe okay? When did this happen?
Customer: Yh they breathing fine it started yesterday morning but they keep heaving it sounded like they had something stuck I’ve check both can’t see anything gently rubbed their throats but it’s not doing nothing to help them dunno wat it could be
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Jaffa and Oreo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Jaffa is temperamental with new people and starts to nibble on your hands and fingers Oreo is fine with people
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 17 days ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear this with your dogs. Given the symptoms you describe and the fact that both dogs are affected, a diagnosis of infectious trachiobrinchitis (also known as kennel cough) seems likely. This is often a viral condition and self resolving in a young, healthy dog. Typically symptoms last 3-5days with a residual cough lasting up to a week. Providing a wet diet and a little honey in warm water can ease symptoms. If either dog becomes lethargic, goes off food or has any difficulty with breathing developing then they would need to be examined by your vet straight away as occasionally antibiotics can be required.

This is a highly contagious condition, so avoidance of contact with other dogs for 10 days is recommended.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have 6 dogs all together 4 fully grown and the 2 11month old pups I can’t take chances lost 1 a year ago at the end of this month van is broke and struggling to get a lift to a vet to get them check anything else I can do
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 17 days ago.

Well in most cases infection is mild and self limiting, so treatment is generally not required unless they start to show more concerning symptoms such as lethargy, loss of appetite, breathlessness etc.

A little honey in warm water can provide relief from mild symptoms.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 17 days ago.

It is possible that the other dogs may contract the infection. There is a vaccination for kennel cough available, this won't be helpful now but may be worth considering in the future.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My dog I lost last year had kennel cough and it don’t seem how these two are sound more like something is lodged inside his throat but there isn’t anything he could have got hold of in any the gardens and with having so many dogs can’t really take a chance
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 17 days ago.

OK, sorry to hear that. Well in which case getting them checked by a vet would be the best course of action. If you have no transport, perhaps a taxi, friend or relative could take you? Alternatively your vet may agree to do a house visit.