Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 11 year old cocker spaniel has developed an enlarged

Customer Question

My 11 year old cocker spaniel has developed an enlarged nipple, do I need to go to a vets
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Does the Cocker Spaniel lick the skin as well?
Customer: it started on Saturday and does not seem to b bothering her she is not licking it or anything
JA: What's the Cocker Spaniel's name?
Customer: Chizzy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Chizzy?
Customer: Her mobility isn't as good as it used to be since having grooming 2 weeks ago
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Is she neutered?Would a photo be possible please?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No she had had puppies but not while in my care
I cannot personally make phone calls but can continue talking via typing if that's OK.
I'm just downloading this photo now.
Under her nipple, is there a firm swelling?
This is what it seems like from the photo but I just want to confirm.Has there been any discharge from the nipple?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Why can the vet not call I have made the payment?
I can't call as I personally don't make calls. The website sends the offer automatically. I'm some for the inconvenience.Any deposit paid will be refunded in full and we can continue talking via typing.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am confused now what’s happening
You requested a call but I declined it and any deposit you paid for it will be refunded by the website.We can continue to talk via typing as we have been.Unfortunately a lesion in this area in an unspayed female is possibley a mammary cancer.These are often associated with the nipple and can be hard and knobbly. Dogs often won't have any other symptoms and the lump causes no discomfort.It is important she's seen ASAP so we can sample the lesion. If it is a cancer, the sooner it is removed the better as this means less chance for it to spread.The vet may also recommend spaying her at the same time, to reduce the risk of a uterus infection in her future. They may also advice on chest xrays to check for any cancer spread
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Well that was expensive thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The enlargement occurred very quickly would that happen in the event of cancer
The call payment will be refunded.
If you have any concerns about this, please speak to customer services who are there to assist.Some aggressive cancers can occur quickly, yes. Other considerations would include a cyst or abscess, which would be checked for.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank you
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.