Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

Are you able to give prescription eye drops for a bearded

Customer Question

Are you able to give prescription eye drops for a bearded dragon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Bearded Dragon's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: So she has started with an eye infection yesterday and it has not gone today and she will not keep her eye open so she needs some eye drops
JA: The Expert will know how to best address the eye infection. What's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: She is called Blissey and she's 5 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Blissey?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (2367VPS)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is her eye. You can see there's a clear jelly like substance in her eye, she will not keep her eye open now
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

I’m sorry to hear that Blissey is unwell.

We can offer online advice only. Uk law means we cannot prescribe for a pet that we have not personally examined.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for explaining Susan. In your opinion do tou think she has an eye infection? She has clear jelly like gunk in her eye which she will now not open, it also looks like it is forming on the other eye.

Has Blissey shed recently? Could it be a retained spectacle?

or is she due a shed?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

shedding of the skin?

retained skin on the eyes can happen in bearded dragons

I cannot tell from the picture if this could be the case, usually a retained skin is more opaque and doesn't look like jelly.

If there is an infection it could be bacterial or fungal, The treatment will vary depending on the cause.

Ideally a swab would be taken from the jelly like substance and sent to a lab for cytology and culture.

in the meantime you can gently bathe the eyes with cooled boiled water. You might want to wear gloves or thorouhjly wash your hands afterwards to reduce the chance of contracting anything from Blissey.

Also check her nutrition and husbandry is optimal.

Can you tell me about Blissey's diet?